Tricks to make you welds stronger

/ Tricks to make you welds stronger #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
Seems lots of folks, and I am including myself, need help sticking two pieces of metal together. Nobody wants to have to weld it twice, but just dont know what it takes to make a weld strong. This isnt limited to wire, stick or tig. And shouldnt have anything to do with 120v or 220v. Just a list of some of the things that should be done before the first arc is struck. I'll let someone else start the list.

/ Tricks to make you welds stronger #2  
Clean off any rust, oil, mill scale off the pieces to be welded and...grind a spot for your ground clamp!

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

/ Tricks to make you welds stronger #3  
I'm just an advanced beginner but have learned to use enough power to assure good penetration of the weld.

/ Tricks to make you welds stronger #4  
Know what the composition is of the metals you are attempting to join. Different metals require different procedures to successfully join.

/ Tricks to make you welds stronger #6  
1. Thoroughly cleaning the two pieces to remove anything on it other than bright metal is the best few minutes you can spend to begin to make a good weld.
2. Keep all the wind off the weld during the welding process to avoid porosity, don't let water contact your weld whether rain, snow or other moisture from condensation (dew).
3. A little preheat on cold mornings to remove the moisture is best.
4. Use properly stored rods, damp rods don't usually make good welds.
5. Grind out any slag inclusions prior to making the next pass.
6. Set the amperage correctly, too many or not enough and you will not have the strongest weld. The rod should start easily and not stick but it should not be so many amps that it is blowing off buckshot and the electrode is glowing red when half burned.
7. Keep your electrode to work (arc length) the same at all times. This is very important for low hydrogen rods as long arcing will cause porosity.
8. Work on your timing for side to side weave so that you are doing the same "frequency" of side to side. Most rods require a fast speed across the middle with a slight hesitant beat at each side as in a 1 across the middle then a 1-2 at the side then a 1 back across and a 1-2 repeat all the way.
9. It really isn't that hard to make a good weld. The secret to a smooth and pretty weld plus a stronger weld is to keep your speed of advancement the same, while keeping the constantly shorter rod at the same height, and the weave the same staying the same width all the time, while watching the puddle for any inconsistency like porosity forming or slag entrapment and if not flat welding, keeping that liquid puddle running up hill. NOTHING TO IT.

/ Tricks to make you welds stronger #7  
Seems lots of folks, and I am including myself, need help sticking two pieces of metal together. Nobody wants to have to weld it twice, but just dont know what it takes to make a weld strong. This isnt limited to wire, stick or tig. And shouldnt have anything to do with 120v or 220v. Just a list of some of the things that should be done before the first arc is struck. I'll let someone else start the list.

Don't "ride the puddle" - make sure you are cutting into metal with the arc.

This video shows what I mean very well:
MIG Welding Basics: Part 4 - welding-tv.com | welding-tv.com

/ Tricks to make you welds stronger #8  
Gary I agree with all but one of your points, don't just learn to do "timing " patterns and learn to read the puddle. Timing patterns are ok when your starting out but as soon as anything changes then you won't be able to read the puddle to know to run a bit wider or narrower faster or slower, or holding your corners longer.
As others have said get the parent metal clean clean clean. Take the extra time to get your prep and fit up correct it will make a big difference in how the end weldment turns out

/ Tricks to make you welds stronger #9  
bcp

Man I thought that info was dead! I remember my 10th grade shop teacher (early 60's) making us do that "Spark Test". Over the years during conversations on metal etc. I mentioned this and people thought I was nuts.
Thank You for posting it and I have bookmarked it, along with printing it and keeping it in the shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jw5875

Know what the composition is of the metals you are attempting to join. Different metals require different procedures to successfully join.