Trespasser.....what would you do?

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #231  
As I mentioned before, the best thing we ever did to deter trespassing was to allow our neighbor to hunt the property. He's out there often, keeps an eye on the place, has several stands on the property so it's pretty clear that someone is on the land often. Aaaaannnnnd.... he gives us some venison as well as fish from various outings. Win win. (y)
Heck yeah. This is my strategy too. Have a close neighbor, family member or friend hunt your land if you want it well patrolled. My buddy stopped by for a few hours in his stand in my woods on Sunday, and brought me 5 lbs of venison burger from his last buck. Wifey is making chili with it soon. I need to remind him that I get (want?) the tenderloins from his next one.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #232  
We did that here once. (going back to the story where I was "confronted" by the TWRDA dude who said I was 'anti-hunting' and left right before, a hunter drove in)

Was a friend of my wife's uncle. (uncle lived next door to us)

Long story short, unknown to the hunter, my OTHER sister in law (wife's other sister, not the one in the shed) Anyway, she lived in San Diego. Had been gone for 8 years in the Army and was now moving back home. She moved home and over the next couple months, spent time meandering around the land here with her dog(s).

She didn't know, HE didn't know.... and one afternoon the hunter friend confronted her. He was evidently presuming she was trespassing. She was presuming HE was trespassing as he didn't know who she was and she also, didn't know who he was. This land was land SHE grew up on riding her horses....so she meets a stranger/hunter who's giving her grief for being on her own property.

Whole thing blew up as he got a bit too ugly with her. Lest we forget, HE is the one holding the gun...so didn't really have any excuse/reason to get ugly with her. I guess he was understandably miffed that perhaps her dogs might have scared/chased the deer away.

None the less, whatever happened that day (I wasn't there and only hear it third person) was ugly enough that his hunting privileges....were revoked.
That isn't going to happen here. We are the only land owners. The neighbor that we allow to hunt the property knows our kids and us and our in-laws, and that's the only people that should ever be on the property. If we go out there and see someone, it's gonna be either the neighbor, his kids, his wife, or his dad. In a nutshell, everyone knows everyone. We're all aware of hunting seasons, and wear the appropriate orange. If I have to go out there during hunting season, I'll text him to ask if he's hunting that day, just so I don't spook the critters or surprise him.

I go fishing with him once in a while on some land his family owns a few miles away. All-in-all, it's worked out very well for all of us.

By the way, both his property and our properties are vacant. Neither of us live out there. A larger holding was being sold, and we both put bids on our property. Ours won. So he bought the mirror piece right next to it. We both bought on the same day around 1989. So over 30 years we've had this friendship and mutually beneficial arrangement.

We've been fortunate as we have many good friends, neighbors, family, etc. Life is good. (y)

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #234  
SignLive.jpg