Tree cutting accident

/ Tree cutting accident #271  
do these pole saw require chain oil ?

I still haven't got a explanation on why there is no kick back while using a pole saw... kickback occur when the wood squeeze the chain, I feel like it is as likely to occur with a pole saw then a chainsaw... maybe you mean the likelihood of injury due to kickback is way less then a chainsaw ? that I would agree with.

Yes, they have a small plastic reservoir for oil. If it didn’t have oil lube, it would quickly destroy itself.
Kickback is very minimal since the small is saw and the length of the pole absorbs the energy of the kickback

/ Tree cutting accident #272  

I still haven't got a explanation on why there is no kick back while using a pole saw... kickback occur when the wood squeeze the chain, I feel like it is as likely to occur with a pole saw then a chainsaw... maybe you mean the likelihood of injury due to kickback is way less then a chainsaw ? that I would agree with.
Kick-back is when the chain bits into the wood and stops, then with all the remaining energy needs to go somewhere throws the bar out. Pole saws have smaller chains and energy stored in the drive shaft so it greatly reduces that. I've locked chains on my various pole-saws many times. Doesn't do much but stop. I suspect the drive shaft dissipates most of it.

/ Tree cutting accident #273  

As far as I know, kickback happens when the nose of the bar with a rapidly moving chain contacts solid wood (like more than just brush typically) and it basically runs the bar up the wood really fast.

A pole saw can definitely kick back, and he probably meant that your face is probably not right behind the bar. I could see possibly losing control of the pole saw if it kicks, but then the pole saw probably also is running a low-kickback chain, and it's really light chain and the engine is small so there's much less momentum in it so any kickback will be minor. Zero kickback? No, but very low risk.

/ Tree cutting accident #275  
As far as I know, kickback happens when the nose of the bar with a rapidly moving chain contacts solid wood (like more than just brush typically) and it basically runs the bar up the wood really fast.

A pole saw can definitely kick back, and he probably meant that your face is probably not right behind the bar. I could see possibly losing control of the pole saw if it kicks, but then the pole saw probably also is running a low-kickback chain, and it's really light chain and the engine is small so there's much less momentum in it so any kickback will be minor. Zero kickback? No, but very low risk.
yeah that one type of kick back yes the other is when the wood squeeze on the chain itself often happen when one is hesitant (not fast enough) wile cutting on the wrong side of the stress … if enough throttle is given it squeeze on the bar then you saw is stuck but it didn’t kick back.

/ Tree cutting accident #276  

A pole saw isn’t very powerful and weighs a lot. They couldn’t kickback very hard. And you’re so far away there’s really no way they could kickback enough to cut you.

/ Tree cutting accident #277  
A pole saw isn’t very powerful and weighs a lot. They couldn’t kickback very hard. And you’re so far away there’s really no way they could kickback enough to cut you.
More importantly, the physics are different. There are several things that can cause kickback, but the one of primary interest (and danger) is when the upper quadrant of the bar nose contacts wood. The angular velocity of the chain is very high here, and the physics created by the grip position cause the saw to rotate back toward your face. This is the kickback for which chain brake levers were originally designed, before they got more advanced with inertial kickback mechanisms.

With a pole saw, the pivot point is shifted so far aft of the bar nose that there's little chance for rotation about the fixed point that is your grip. The prior comments about lower power and higher mass add to this. Yes, they can kick back all the same, but the resulting recoil is massively diminished by these factors.

Pinching the top side of the chain, as someone referenced in one of the prior answers, is more often called "pushback" than "kickback". Kickback typically involves rotation about the grip.

/ Tree cutting accident #278  
Right, I could also cut a 24” log with a $15 Disston cross cut hand saw. :ROFLMAO:
Hay Dude, If you find a $15 Disston hand saw, buy it. Last time I looked for a decent new hand saw they were over $100. I had my 50+ year old Disstons tuned up, (sharpened and set), pine boards now cut like butter. :)

/ Tree cutting accident #279  
I was a crane operator for a poured wall basement company and was laid off, because of the recession of 1980/81. I couldn't buy a job so I went too California bay area to work for my cousin. He was a tree wrecker/trimmer.

I worked with him for 3 months and the biggest tree we took down was a Live Oak. Until the climber was done there were 4 of us, then it was me and my cousin. It took a total of 11 days to take it down and split all of the wood and deliver it. There were expensive small trees and flowers on the ground, so we had to rope every piece of the tree down. It was 5 ft at the stump and one limb had 5 full cord of wood in it. The lower limbs went out 75 ft from the tree. The climber who was very good and was being paid $450 cash a day. That's $1400 in todays money. I was a ground man flunky, my job was to send a saw up to the climber, rope down chunks of wood, split, deliver and feed the chipper.

My cousin got paid $4500 for the take down ($14,000 in todays money) and then sold 95% of the termite ridden wood for $150 a cord, that's $468 in todays money. The customers knew about the termites, but wanted it anyways. I delivered all of it to their driveways.

He told me that one tree was dangerous to take down and he bid $20,000 on it, but didn't get it

/ Tree cutting accident #280  
All this death & injury talk has me thinking about the tree work we have this fall
I was thinking about it and this thread specifically today (yesterday) as I was cutting up a dead pine that fell last week and another smaller one that has started to die. It's making me more careful.

They pines, I think, died due to the drought this summer. I can't really see any other reason.

Last edited: