Tree cutting accident

/ Tree cutting accident #11  
There are 30,000 saw ER registered accidents per year in the USA associated with saw's. A falling window maker might need more help than a sawyer wearing hard hat. 50 percent of the ER visits are from chain cuts above the belt, so chaps are not a "cure-all" either.

/ Tree cutting accident #12  
There are 30,000 saw ER registered accidents per year in the USA associated with saw's. A falling window maker might need more help than a sawyer wearing hard hat. 50 percent of the ER visits are from chain cuts above the belt, so chaps are not a "cure-all" either.
I never would have guess so many people are injured with a saw each year.

I wonder how many are "first time" users or never had any training/experience?

/ Tree cutting accident #13  
Indeed sag news. :(

Safety long with common sense plus try and be ready for almost anything might go wrong.

/ Tree cutting accident #14  
I have never worn a safety device in my life outside of safety glasses maybe 50% of the time.
Been at it for 40+ years without a significant injury.

I would encourage you to at least wear a forestry helmet when using a chainsaw. I definitely wear ear protection when using a zero turn.

I do have safety chaps when using a chainsaw but never wear them. That's on me.

I keep a few safety glasses so that I'm not tempted to use my hand saw without them.

/ Tree cutting accident
I never would have guess so many people are injured with a saw each year.

I wonder how many are "first time" users or never had any training/experience?
In the case of my neighbor he had ran saws his entire life, and even did some logging when he was younger. Being an gentleman in his upper 60's things can get missed, or sometimes the falling limb may not of even been evident and could of broke off another tree next to what he was cutting.

I have been running saws since I was 10, and sometimes things happen that were never expected even though you know it could be possible. Been cut on the left elbow after being thrown through the air while relieving tension on a small 2 inch diameter tree that I was expecting to splinter and flex up and away from me, not break off and hit me in the chest.

His son was supposed to come this weekend to help with the firewood cutting, but he insisted on getting started even though his wife tried to persuade him not to.

/ Tree cutting accident #17  
Sometime it just happen purely bad luck, sometime its a lack of judgment, from complacency, rushing, frustration or fatigue. Not speculating on anything here but these state of mind significantly increase your risk of accidents... I wish him good recovery.

I have work with a older guy who had one leg 3inch shorter then the other one... he was a lumberjack and two tree fell on the same leg ... after the second time he decided to change jobs ... not sure the detail of the why in ether case...

/ Tree cutting accident #18  
Anyone here ever take a sawyer safety course? In the one I took among the many things they said will save you life, you carry a sawyer 1st aid kit and don't cut alone.
then I would never cut anything in my life... but good advises

not officially but my dad gave me lots of hands on experience especially on fallen and hang tree to be able to see the tension and avoid kick back

/ Tree cutting accident #19  
Sad news, hope your neighbor recovers fully.

With 100's of dead ash here, from 20 to 100' tall, it's been a rough few years with felling dead trees and barberchairs (fixed with plunge cuts). The rest I will rope down as the branches come off in unknown directions.
A few trees that fell went sideways to the lean, bug killed trees are unsafe.

I have 20-30 foot long branches falling, and need the tractor to pull them out they go in so deep.

/ Tree cutting accident #20  
In the case of my neighbor he had ran saws his entire life, and even did some logging when he was younger. Being an gentleman in his upper 60's things can get missed, or sometimes the falling limb may not of even been evident and could of broke off another tree next to what he was cutting.

I have been running saws since I was 10, and sometimes things happen that were never expected even though you know it could be possible. Been cut on the left elbow after being thrown through the air while relieving tension on a small 2 inch diameter tree that I was expecting to splinter and flex up and away from me, not break off and hit me in the chest.

His son was supposed to come this weekend to help with the firewood cutting, but he insisted on getting started even though his wife tried to persuade him not to.
Those spring poles can be deadly too...as you found out. Half the battle is making sure the work area is free of hazards even before the big wood is cut.