Treating diesel in north Texas winters

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #21  
I live just outside of Dallas on the south side. We have a 325 gallon bulk tank, outside. We fuel all kinds of equipment and have never treated the fuel and never had a problem.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #22  
I live just outside of Dallas on the south side. We have a 325 gallon bulk tank, outside. We fuel all kinds of equipment and have never treated the fuel and never had a problem.
Not even last winter when Texas got hit pretty hard?
I'd wager your oil company winterizes the fuel

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #23  
Funny, with your low temps, I wouldn't treat for freezing. However, a Biocide might be a way to go. This 'new' low sulphur diesel tends to easily get algae growing in it when not used. I had a big issue when I bought my new tractor. It was on my property, 4 hours from home. I'd use it once a month-ish. All kinds of bogging issues while using fuel from a station that the whole town uses. Biocide, and many fuel filters later, I'm good to go. I now live on the property and use the tractor often. Summer time I still use the Biocide. A thimble full for 10 gallons.
I too use Power Service White bottle in winter but we see -15f for weeks at a time.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #24  
We did not treat any of our diesel last year. Neither at my place near Tyler, nor my dads near Bonham. Got down to about 0 for a couple days as you recall and no issues.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #25  
I had to laugh, Texas winter! In the frozen tundra (WI), we see neg temps all of the time during the winter (over 100 days a couple years ago) and last year was the first time I actually decided to treat my fuel. Usually they change the blend at the pump depending on the time of the year and I would think they do the same in Texas if it's warranted.

Stay warm!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That is not the case by the time you get Southward to Missouri. Don't trust ANY pump fuel to be winterized down here. Obviously yours is or you wouldn't get by without treating. Down here if the temp gets anywhere near zero F your untreated fuel will gel.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters
Thanks you TEXAS members for your input.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #27  
Not even last winter when Texas got hit pretty hard?
I'd wager your oil company winterizes the fuel
I wonder if they had temps below 20F for a significant length of time?

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #30  
None of that happens down here. Consumer is on their own.
Which is why you have to take care of yourselves...
The offroad diesel here ULSD...supposedly not good for the valve seats (inadequate upper cylinder lubricity is what I've read). That probably applies to older tractors, but I figure Power Service is a lot cheaper than an engine overhaul.
It does get cold enough for diesel to gell, especially considering most tractors set idle quite a bit and most, including mine, are outside.