Travel trailer or Fifth wheel

/ Travel trailer or Fifth wheel
Thanks again bird, I was already told about the"RV queen" size and I can live with that but the info on the roof is something I didn't think of as the styrofoam was something I had thought of but for different reasons, it wouldn't soak up water if you had a leak and no it doesn't have shocks but I don't see many light weight fifthwheels out there to choose from. Also, do you have any input on trailer appliance brands?I know you said to PM you if I had any questions but maybe this info will help someone else thinking about one

/ Travel trailer or Fifth wheel #12  
Kevin, some of the trailers that come without shocks DO have the brackets and you can add the shocks; something I would definitely do if I were going to pull the trailer a lot. Even if it doesn't have the brackets for shocks, it still isn't too hard to add them. Of course if you're only going short distances on smooth roads, it may not be an issue. As for the appliances, my brothers and I have had just about every brand there is, and personally, I would have no preference. They all work quite well, and they all may need repairs occasionally. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif On some of the older models there were greater differences, some harder to repair than others, etc., but on the current stuff, it just wouldn't be an issue for me. Kinda like John Deere, Kubota, or New Holland; which one's best? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Some folks might have some strong opinions, but not me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Bird, hopefully I can answer my other questions tommorrow when I call the company.

/ Travel trailer or Fifth wheel #14  
By the way, Kevin, I once heard that there are two kinds of people who tow fifth wheels; those who have torn their tailgate off and those who are going to. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I've met a bunch of those who had. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue"> "I once heard that there are two kinds of people who tow fifth wheels; those who have torn their tailgate off and those who are going to." </font>
Well if we get the fifthwheel I will let you guys know so you can start a pool on me doing it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Travel trailer or Fifth wheel #16  
Kevin,

I’ve never towed a 5th wheel, but I have a fair amount of experience pulling a TT. Let me just say that just with tractors, your RV dealer can be your best friend. He can make your towing experience be positive or negative. One of the things he will do for you is to make sure your tow vehicle is up to snuff.

I think the biggest factor to look at is your tow vehicle. I know that there are several trailer/5th wheels that can be towed with a ½ ton truck, but make sure you look into a couple of things.

1. Brakes, make sure they are in good working order
2. If your truck is an automatic, consider adding an auxiliary trans and oil cooler
3. Brake controller, there is an on-going discussion in the Owning/Operator forum with some good information
4. Tires, depending on what you have, you might want to look into load range “D” or “E” rated tires

I’ve towed a TT many miles with a ½ ton pickup. I now have a ¾ ton and the difference is amazing. It’s feels so much more secure. The bigger brakes and a heavier chassis sure do make a difference.

Good luck, Rving sure is fun.

Jim

Thanks Jim, the fifth wheel I'm looking at is a lightweight and the truck is rated for it. That being said my long range plan is to move up to a 3/4 ton truck in a few years so if I don't like how it pulls now that will be corrected in the future.

/ Travel trailer or Fifth wheel #18  
Glad to hear that you know what your trucks capabilities are. My brother-in-law owns an RV dealership and I've heard so many horror stories. He told me of a guy who was determined that he could tow a 30' TT with a Ford Ranger. He didn't understand dry weight, hitch weight, GCVW, etc.

That's where an educated dealer comes in, he knows what your tow vehicles safe limits are and steers you into the right RV.

Jim

/ Travel trailer or Fifth wheel #19  
You might want to look at the website for RV Consumer Group. They sell some of the best books and CDs rating new and used trailers, fifth wheels and RVs. Not cheap but well worth the money considering how much you'll be spending. I have their book on how to select, inspect and buy a trailer and/or fifth wheel. Very complete.

<font color="blue">"You might want to look at the website for RV Consumer Group. " </font>
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know such a thing existed.