Trailer Tire Wear or Problem?

/ Trailer Tire Wear or Problem? #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
I have a relatively new (4 years old) Quality Steel and Aluminum 10K, 18ft, equipment trailer and towed my tractor to and from a job yesterday. When I returned, I noticed that the tires on the front axle have a flat spot where it looked like the wheels locked and dragged. The tread (the tires are probably worn down by about a 1/3rd to 1/2) is completely worn off of the flat spots. No cords or belts showing, but completely flat for about a palms width. I did not see the same spots on the tires of the rear axle.

I had a "spirited" stop back in the spring in which the trailer was unloaded and I was towing a lawn tractor back home. The tires smoked, but I didn't think it worn the tread off. But maybe that explains it?

My big question for you guys is: Should I replace these tires now? Just the two or all four? Any good recommendations for tires? I can't remember the size offhand, but I think they are 16" rims.

/ Trailer Tire Wear or Problem? #2  
I had some flat areas (tires) on my equipment hauler several years ago. It made for a real bumpy ride. The flats areas were caused by the Surge Brakes getting locked up.......Gr-r-r-r-. After replacing tires a couple times. ......I just replaced the Surge Brakes with Electric Brakes and my problem was solved.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Trailer Tire Wear or Problem? #3  
I have a relatively new (4 years old) Quality Steel and Aluminum 10K, 18ft, equipment trailer and towed my tractor to and from a job yesterday. When I returned, I noticed that the tires on the front axle have a flat spot where it looked like the wheels locked and dragged. The tread (the tires are probably worn down by about a 1/3rd to 1/2) is completely worn off of the flat spots. No cords or belts showing, but completely flat for about a palms width. I did not see the same spots on the tires of the rear axle.

I had a "spirited" stop back in the spring in which the trailer was unloaded and I was towing a lawn tractor back home. The tires smoked, but I didn't think it worn the tread off. But maybe that explains it?

My big question for you guys is: Should I replace these tires now? Just the two or all four? Any good recommendations for tires? I can't remember the size offhand, but I think they are 16" rims.
I would replace the tires--I only run tires for 4, maybe 5 years. I've had that happen with an aftermarket brake controller. The integrated controllers don't seem to hit as hard as the add-on ones even with the sensitivity would down.

/ Trailer Tire Wear or Problem? #4  
I would replace the two tires that were flat spotted and if the other two looked good with no weather cracking or dry rot I would continue to run them unless you use the trailer daily and stay on the road with it daily, if that was the case I would replace all 4.

/ Trailer Tire Wear or Problem? #5  
I would replace all 4, plus the spare, and get them all balanced, as well.

/ Trailer Tire Wear or Problem? #6  
I would relegate the two to "dedicated spares" swap my spare in and buy 1 more.
Unless you feel the need to have spare tire brand new I would treat it like the down sized spares that come in many cars, only for use in emergencies. Then after a few years cycle them out. Modern tires are not designed to last. IIRC the manufacturers got together and decided on a lifespan and that's what they shoot for now.

/ Trailer Tire Wear or Problem?
Tim - good point. I have a relatively cheap controler in that truck and it grabs quickly. I guess that unloaded skid must have done that.

/ Trailer Tire Wear or Problem? #8  
Tim - good point. I have a relatively cheap controler in that truck and it grabs quickly. I guess that unloaded skid must have done that.
What controller do you have? The prodigy ones are prety good. p3 is what I used for years.

/ Trailer Tire Wear or Problem?
I have just a simple Reese Towpower controller. But I'm pretty sure that when I adjusted the brake boost, I did so with a load on the trailer. My truck stops pretty well and is very heavy (F450 dump) so it can be hard to tell if the trailer is braking.

I thought about this last night, but I wonder if both axles are braking properly? Shouldn't I have four flat spotted tires instead of two?

/ Trailer Tire Wear or Problem? #10  
Is your trailer level when hooked up to the truck? I have had the front tires skid when the front is pitched up and no load. Hard for the tire to stop smoothly when there is little drag on it.