Trailer registration in Maine

/ Trailer registration in Maine #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
I have 3 trailers, 2- 10k GVW equipment trailers and 1- 7500 GVW enclosed trailer. In Mass they cost 230.00 for the 7500 and 260.00 each for the 10k ones...each year plus yearly 39.00 inspections and yearly excise tax. What is the downside to registering in Maine @ 100.00 for a 5 year tag?

/ Trailer registration in Maine #2  
None, all my business and personal trailers are registered there, I got pulled over once by a local cop and he asked what was the deal and after I told him he asked "do you think I can register my boat trailer there?"

/ Trailer registration in Maine #3  
yikes......

here in Idaho my personal trailer is $30 for 10 years and my 7500# commercial trailer cost $18.75 per year.

you sure get ripped off there.

oh... and NO inspection fees

/ Trailer registration in Maine
We get the shaft on just about everything here. I have a F350 dump truck that I use for my property and the state requires commercial plates which are 260.00 per year and 130.00 per year for a DOT inspection. I'm also supposed to have lettering on it because it has commercial plates. What do they want me to do? Put my first and last name on the door and cell phone number. Frigging ridiculous.

/ Trailer registration in Maine #6  
What is the downside to registering in Maine @ 100.00 for a 5 year tag?
The only downside I'm aware off is just that your local Gov't gets less of your money.......

Our family has been doing this (buying Maine trailer tags) for about 10 years. We checked with the insurance company first and they said it doesn't matter to them since we aren't required to carry a separate policy on the trailer -- whatever is towed is covered by the vehicle insurance.
Over the past few years, I'd bet half the trailers in our state are now sportin' Miane tags as the prices keep going up. I even see commercial trailers with them (landscape companies) very often. Being in business where we deal directly with the motor vehicle admin., the lady that handles titles / tags first told me it's not legal to do since the state requires anything that you "own" be registered here......but once she got the bill for her big boat trailer renewal, she was asking me how to go about getting Maine tags:laughing:

/ Trailer registration in Maine #7  
None, all my business and personal trailers are registered there, I got pulled over once by a local cop and he asked what was the deal and after I told him he asked "do you think I can register my boat trailer there?"

Just curious. Do any of the states go after their residents who register their trailers in Maine but do not otherwise have ties to that state?

Steve

/ Trailer registration in Maine #8  
None if it's allowable. Somewhere in your state rulings, there is language that says something about vehicles being titled, registered and tagged in the applicable state. Some states require both to be tagged in the state of residence, some allow for only the tow vehicle to be tagged in the state of residence. In Md., the language is buried in the transportation articles of the Code of Maryland Annotated Regulations (COMAR). And sometimes, you have to look for exemptions to the rule like Agricultural.

/ Trailer registration in Maine #9  
That's the first I heard of a reasonable registration cost in Maine! I lived there for 35years and the only legal way was to pay the yearly fee (or it could have been 2years) and EXCISE tax every year or two to my local town. There are usually ways around these things, but I agree they aren't strictly legal- you might get away with it, just like some people do by swapping tags between trailers...

/ Trailer registration in Maine #10  
I tried everything to get my trailer registered in ct, but after 3 months and many trips to dmv I was told that I could not. Then the guy at dmv suggested I register it in Maine...legally it should be in registered in ct but I had no options. I did the paper work with the staub agency and it was simple. If I get stopped by a Leo I will explain all I did and hope for compassion.