Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc?

/ Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc? #1  

rice_harvester

Tractor
kx121 mini x, new holland, skid steers,
I'm keeping my eyes out for another ~16k to ~20k trailer, pintle or gn to be pulled by 550/med duty without air brakes, used/budget/older, occasional use/not for commercial hauling. A more commonly seen, up-rated 14k (after considering tongue weight)- wouldn't be enough this case.

"dually"/ 'tandem dual' trailers have the main frame beams closer to the centerline, but they can more often be found vs 16k or 18k deckover that was sold by the factory (uncommon) with 8k or 10k axles and wider main frame beams, with SINGLES. I already have the extra 17.5s wheels/tires rated at upto ~19,200 tire rating, for example, and have great experience 17.5's on gn's/overall. The 17.5's are indeed the/a recommended low-profile replacement for some ~15" old style and 16" newer style 8-lug, on 10/12k axles, that I've looked at.

My question: (generally) how well do these older "narrower frame, dually" trailers-- tend to ride/balance & handle a load, IF swapped over to appropriate "singles"?
ie 17.5 or maybe 19.5, (for the lowest possible deck height, and yet hardy sidewall overall for rough roads).
Any thoughts, input or experiences greatly appreciated..

/ Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc? #2  
I would not convert to singles on a narrow frame trailer that has dually axles. You will loose axle/tire width. Some small manufactures used the same narrow frame for both singles and dually axles. I assume for ease of the build. I had one (16k) 102"x25' and didn't like it. With a narrow load it was fine but for a wide load, such as hay, it was not stable.

I sold it and bought a wide frame 16k Diamond C, 102"x28' with sway control pipe, way better trailer. I prefer singles over duals. Dual tires get you looked at by the cops.

215/75x17.5 are rated 4.8k, the super single, 235/75x17.5 will get you 6k. 19.5's in general, are rated less than 17.5's.

/ Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc? #3  
I like the idea of singles, too. You always are wondering if that inner tire & wheel is “ok”.
However the singles do present that extra problem if theres a flat or blowout.

/ Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc? #4  
I like the idea of singles, too. You always are wondering if that inner tire & wheel is “ok”.
However the singles do present that extra problem if theres a flat or blowout.
I've got tandems rather than duallies. But old school thumping the tires can tell one a lot about the health of the tires. I sometimes will feel for belt separation, and one should be able to reach both inner and outer tires.

I've been threatening to install TPMS sensors on all of my trailer tires. I don't know if that would detect all faults, but it should help some.

/ Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc? #5  
I have come close to ordering the Crossfires.
I just keep thinking they’ll get snagged on something or rip off.

1713027563365.png

/ Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc? #6  
I'm a big fan of super singles 17.5 tires both my 30' gooseneck flatbed and my 22' tilt deck trailers have them.

/ Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc? #7  
I have a Diamond C trailer that I converted to singles, they do sit in a little, and I thought they looked weird at first, but no issues with stability. The factory SS model use the same frame and axles as the dual wheel models.

I also had a 10ton tag trailer that had a narrower frame that I thought about converting but it was too narrow for my liking.

What's your frame/axle width.
1991531125.jpg
1615619980.jpg

/ Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc? #8  
Wide frame with singles, note, two deck boards, outboard the frame.

0420211134.jpg

Narrow frame with duals, 4 deck boards outboard the frame.

IMG_0247.jpg

/ Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc? #9  
   / Trailer: dually to heavy singles, on 10k/12k axles...stability etc? #10  
Dualled tires are always better for handling stability because: instead of 1 tire pushed nearly to it's peak for lateral capability needs, you have 2 tires faced with the same challenge but running at about 1/2 their vertical load. But, trailer makers play a game with this because they can use smaller tires with lower load capacity via size, load and speed ratings. The spare tire issue is real. Yet you can limp home on 1 of them being flat if necessary. Load deck height is a real issue too. Smaller diameter is a good thing. The higher the deck, the more the loaded deck will roll.