Trailer decking

/ Trailer decking #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
My trailer is getting on to 9 years old and the deck needs replacing. It seems that most trailers come with 2x6 decking, but is there any reason why 2x8 or 2x10 wouldn't work?

/ Trailer decking #3  
I don't see any reason not to use wider planks other than width warping.
Donald

/ Trailer decking #4  
My trailer uses 2x12's as most do in my parts. I would bet 90% of the ones I work on are this way.

Chris

/ Trailer decking #5  
I re-decked using the same size (2x6) so I could use the drilled out holes already in the trailer frame. Many people will just use self-tapping screws to attach the deck without re-using the same holes though.

I also borrowed DiamondPilot's 'fat buddy' trick to place down the decking and avoid cutting into the frame. I did it solo so I had to modify the procedure but it worked out well. My trailer is 6.5 x 10.

/ Trailer decking #6  
2*6 is the most common decking material and most cost effective. It will cup less than wider lumber hence more resistant to surface checking and splitting. I hope I never have to replace the decking on my trailer as it was nailed through the steel cross members with a powder actuated tool (hilti gun).

/ Trailer decking #7  
Mine was the other way. Came new with non treated 2x10's. I wanted treated wood and 2x6s were available and reasonably priced so that's what's on there. Been on there for a lot of years as the trailer is 30+ years old and with a periodic oiling (Boiled Linseed oil/turpentine solution) they are still in fine shape....checked by knife point penetration or lack thereof. Haven't noticed any warping but they have shrunk somewhat and I have noticeable cracks that don't affect the functionality of it.

Mark

/ Trailer decking #8  
I saw a trailer the other day and it had 2 x 6 pine boards and on top of that they had put tar paper and roofing shingles. They told me it had been on there a long time and it does keep the wood from rotting - Do any of you believe that? I need to replace the wood on my trailer but don't know what type of wood to use - any sugestions

/ Trailer decking #9  
Most construction trailers around here use 2x12 oak planking. This is for equipment anything else does not hold up well. Only place I have seen roofing used over boards was on wood stairs outside of a building. It was a two story home that was rented as a double.

/ Trailer decking #10  
Never seen that one.

2 things come to mind.

Weight: that's about 2 square of shingles or 6 bundles. Has to be 300#.

Rot: no way to seal off the bottom side. I would think things would stay damp and rot worse.

Just use Pressure Treated Lumber. It will last 10 to 20 years. After its dry dilute a gallon of used diesel engine oil with a little kerosene and paint it on. The wood will soak it right up.

Chris