Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,401  
My FIL uses locust for fence post, says they will last forever.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,402  
Black Locust is more rot resistant than Honey Locust, though both do well in that regard.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,403  
Black locust was used here in the 20s-30s for barb wire fences. Kept the hired men busy digging post holes if there wasn't frost in the ground (uncle and grandfather). 20yrs ago many were still functional. There are a few post remaining now, but none standing.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,404  
I hadn’t used my old Stihl MS 280 in a while but it ran real good with some fresh ethanol free 50:1 mix this afternoon. I chunked up the hard maple that I hauled home from my parents over a week ago.

It’s been kind of muddy back by that trailer with all the recent rain. Hopefully, the ground will dry up enough by tomorrow so I can haul the split ash on the back of the trailer up to my woodshed and the unsplit maple on front to my splitter shed.
IMG_4326.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,405  
Another nice day here today, my wife said we should split this load of wood,

Resized-20230923-134759-S.jpg

So off we go with the splitter to get rrr done, we saved most of the bigger rounds for last and this was the last one,

Resized-20240416-143151-S.jpg

and we split it right into my half cord boxes,

Resized-20240416-143308-S.jpg

That wagon load made just under two cords boxed splits...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,406  
I moved some split ash into the woodshed this afternoon. I’ve got room for about 12 more face cord on the newly completed east side. I don’t know if I’ll get that much processed this summer, but it’s nice to have plenty of room if I do. I used to be able to do more firewood in the winter, but it’s been a while since the ground froze good enough here to make for good winter hauling conditions.
IMG_4331.jpeg

I also did a little more work on my splitter shed. I had to scrape out a couple inches of gravel, to make enough clearance for the canopy, on my loader tractor. I’ve got about an inch to spare now. That was easier than letting some air out of the back tires.
IMG_4334.jpeg

That splitter shed will be the new summer home for that tractor and my Bush-hog. In the winter, I’ll keep my Durango field car in there. The loader tractor spends winter under the side porch, with a back blade, for heavy snow plow service.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,407  
I moved some split ash into the woodshed this afternoon. I’ve got room for about 12 more face cord on the newly completed east side. I don’t know if I’ll get that much processed this summer, but it’s nice to have plenty of room if I do. I used to be able to do more firewood in the winter, but it’s been a while since the ground froze good enough here to make for good winter hauling conditions.
View attachment 862815

I also did a little more work on my splitter shed. I had to scrape out a couple inches of gravel, to make enough clearance for the canopy, on my loader tractor. I’ve got about an inch to spare now. That was easier than letting some air out of the back tires.
View attachment 862814

That splitter shed will be the new summer home for that tractor and my Bush-hog. In the winter, I’ll keep my Durango field car in there. The loader tractor spends winter under the side porch, with a back blade, for heavy snow plow service.
Remind me again, how many "face cords" = a "cord of wood"? :)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,410  
A face cord is 1/3 of a cord
Is to me but many around here cut in 24" length so then it is 1/2 cord. Then there is rank, that is that magical definition with no definite size specs or wildly varying dimensions, i.e. truck load.