Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,412  
Don't forget "Rick", but he won't come help split or stack, so pretty much a useless unit of firewood measurement!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,413  
Stacking firewood was my least favorite part of the whole process, until I finished my woodshed. Now, that’s my favorite part. I haven’t found much worse than stacking fire-wood outside, except maybe trying to unstack it, to bring in the house and burn over the winter.

Having to shovel thru snow to remove tarps and deal with wind on those, is almost pure torture, that takes most of the fun out of heating with firewood. If the stacks are too high they fall over and the torture starts again. Trying to support the ends to make rectangular piles was always a pain, as was dealing with mowing around them, and/or large areas of lawn that are lost or damaged.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,414  
Stacking firewood was my least favorite part of the whole process, until I finished my woodshed. Now, that’s my favorite part. I haven’t found much worse than stacking fire-wood outside, except maybe trying to unstack it, to bring in the house and burn over the winter.

Having to shovel thru snow to remove tarps and deal with wind on those, is almost pure torture, that takes most of the fun out of heating with firewood. If the stacks are too high they fall over and the torture starts again. Trying to support the ends to make rectangular piles was always a pain, as was dealing with mowing around them, and/or large areas of lawn that are lost or damaged.
When I first started to really burn wood, I just split it into a big pile, worked great, it did dry enough, killed the lawn where I didn't care about, and was quick. However it was a pain to move again and didn't really tell me how much to have for the next year. I never tried stacking in rows, just seemed like a tedious job. One year I got these old wood crates that stone pavers were shipped in, these were great as the wood stayed together, dried fine, and was easy to move with the loader. Really a game changer for me. However since they were just pine 1x material, the rotted apart after just a few years, that when I saw a guy with the IBC totes online, I thought those were fantastic and went that route. I now have 18 of them, still haven't filled them all but if I did I'd have probably 2+ years worth of firewood ready to go. I cut the plastic bladders in a way where I can stack another 12-18" above the top of the metal frames, giving me almost 1/2 cord in each. They keep the wood together, and the plastic "lid" keeps it dry and almost like a greenhouse in the top, while the bottom dries in the wind. Only the very ends of the log gets wet in rain, maybe the last inch? And it's dry by the time it goes in the stove.
Here's a pic of one before I stuffed the top full:
KIMG6407.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,415  
When I first started to really burn wood, I just split it into a big pile, worked great, it did dry enough, killed the lawn where I didn't care about, and was quick. However it was a pain to move again and didn't really tell me how much to have for the next year. I never tried stacking in rows, just seemed like a tedious job. One year I got these old wood crates that stone pavers were shipped in, these were great as the wood stayed together, dried fine, and was easy to move with the loader. Really a game changer for me. However since they were just pine 1x material, the rotted apart after just a few years, that when I saw a guy with the IBC totes online, I thought those were fantastic and went that route. I now have 18 of them, still haven't filled them all but if I did I'd have probably 2+ years worth of firewood ready to go. I cut the plastic bladders in a way where I can stack another 12-18" above the top of the metal frames, giving me almost 1/2 cord in each. They keep the wood together, and the plastic "lid" keeps it dry and almost like a greenhouse in the top, while the bottom dries in the wind. Only the very ends of the log gets wet in rain, maybe the last inch? And it's dry by the time it goes in the stove.
Here's a pic of one before I stuffed the top full:
View attachment 862830
It may have been me???

These pictures are from 2020

2020 Wood 1.jpg
IBC 2.jpg

I still use these totes for my own use.

Last year I started using bulk bags for my side business. They are great as the wood dries much faster, I do not need a helper, and no stacking is needed. I have used them for my own use as well but getting the wood out of the bag is more difficult and it takes more floor space than the tote.

Bulk bag storage.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,416  
The plastic covered totes look like they would work pretty good, but they are ugly. My wife with complain, if I tried that.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,417  
It may have been me???

These pictures are from 2020
I do remember yours and I did take your design, but the ones I saw first were these ...
cd2780355321e67bf183ae0b8ca9eb5a.jpg

I just thought the "roof" idea wasn't as practical as it could have been. So I cut mine differently, very much like Shooters.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,418  
The plastic covered totes look like they would work pretty good, but they are ugly. My wife with complain, if I tried that.
Mine didn't like them either, but she also doesn't like lugging firewood far, nor does she like being cold. These fix both of those issues!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,419  
Paint them pink . . . . for her ;) :ROFLMAO: .

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,420  
I've been picking away at my 2025/26 wood a little at a time. Took some pictures today. I fill the bucket with blocks. Any big ones I roll to the side.

24_4_18-1.JPG

I stand between the bucket and splitter. The splits get tossed onto the stack as I go. After each bucket I have to neaten the stack a little. Doesn't have to be perfect. They will only be there a couple months before for I move them into the shed.

24_4_18-2.JPG

When the big ones that I put to the side start getting in my way I put the splitter vertical and work off the carry-all. I chunk them up into manageable size and put them back in the pile. The carry-all has a smooth surface so it is easy the slide the big blocks around and position them on the splitter.

24_4_18-4.JPG

gg