Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,801  
A buddy of mine reached out on Thursday, asking if the splitter and I were free for a whole day of work this past Saturday. An old boss of his had asked for help getting some wood put up for the winter.

I rarely have plans, and the Rugged made needed a proper workout since I replaced the main hydraulic line. Five of us, including the homeowner, worked all day from about 8am to 3pm. White and Red oak mostly. Next time, I'm going to road my Kubota there as it's only 3 or 4 miles from the homestead and would have been a real help with some of the rounds we handled.

Homeowners were extremely grateful for the help and wood, and fed us an excellent lunch. When all was said and done, the final tally was 3 full cords.
Work parties are so under rated nowadays! IF you find people to show up, it can be a great social gathering with a pile of friendly ball busting.
Best part is knowing someone who really needed help, got the help they needed.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,802  
I got one as a Christmas gift. WOW, amazing tool! WAYYYYY better than my pickaroons!
Yeah I like mine too. Usually hesitant about things like this but this works great. Thats why I had you check it out ...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,803  
Ah jeez, looks like I’ll be buying another pickaroon.
I’ve had this Fiskars for about 6 years now and use it every time I do firewood. The tip broke off as you can see, and I found that I hated NOT using the pickaroon. I guess I didn’t realize how much I like it.

I also have a Logrite pickaroon, which I used as my backup, but after being used to the light weight and better ergonomics/grip on the fiskars, I found I MUCH prefer it over the Logrite, and it’s cheaper as a bonus.

View attachment 840515

View attachment 840514

View attachment 840516
The dump trailer sure isn’t pretty, but it’s darn functional.
Have you seen the LogOx hauler?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,804  
Not really a fan of the Log Ox hauler myself. I find a pair of handheld tongs (such as those sold by Husqvarna and others) to be much more convenient. They are light weight and fit in a holster on the belt of my chaps, making them easy to bring along in the woods, and the length is more convenient for loading rounds onto my log splitter. I have a 4 ft LogRite Peavey for rolling larger logs.
Husqvarna Timber Tongs.png
Husqvarna Tong Holster.png

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,805  
Have you seen the LogOx hauler?
I have seen a lot of marketing for it over the last couple of years, but I have not personally tried one so can't comment on how well they work. I did look up their website after you posted and it seems like an interesting tool, but I don't see how it compares to a pickaroon? It seems more like a cant hook had relations with a log tong and birthed a gimicky combination tool.
The logox weighs 6.5 pounds, vs the Fiskars much lighter 1.5 pounds.

I'd be willing to try one though, I never knew how much I'd love the pickaroon until I started using it, so it's possible the logox would fit that bill as well.
I do have new Fiskars on it's way though!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,806  
I have seen a lot of marketing for it over the last couple of years, but I have not personally tried one so can't comment on how well they work. I did look up their website after you posted and it seems like an interesting tool, but I don't see how it compares to a pickaroon? It seems more like a cant hook had relations with a log tong and birthed a gimicky combination tool.
The logox weighs 6.5 pounds, vs the Fiskars much lighter 1.5 pounds.

I'd be willing to try one though, I never knew how much I'd love the pickaroon until I started using it, so it's possible the logox would fit that bill as well.
I do have new Fiskars on it's way though!
Yeah marketing is what got me lol. I like it alot but never used a pickaroon so I can't compare it. I guess like any thing if it works use it

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,807  
A few years ago, Log Ox sent out free samples to a LOT of YouTube channels. It seemed as though they were everywhere I looked.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,808  
A few years ago, Log Ox sent out free samples to a LOT of YouTube channels. It seemed as though they were everywhere I looked.
I am in a FB tractor group and LogOx promotes the crap out of it. I am not disappointed I bought it. Used it alot since I bought it

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,809  
I still prefer a pickeroon, in 24" or 26" handle. And a simple carpenters hammer holster keeps it at hand when needed!
I find simple . . . is easier.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,810  
After that long thaw between Christmas and New Years which caused mud season conditions in a lot of local places things here have stiffened up enough now so that I can restart my firewood work. Here are some tractor and wood pics of one tree I pulled out today - a dead maple, you can just see my tractor way back there behind that hemlock.

P1020678-1.JPG

All of a sudden we had a snow squall. Covered everything in 10 minutes. I can't get my tractor beyond that birch tree because it drops right off into a big hole. So I set up my snatch block.

P1020685-1JPG.JPG

After limbing I cut the two leaders off the main stem. Then I winched them into a neat bunch just short of the self release snatch block.

P1020693-1.JPG

Then I winched them as a group thru the block, around that birch tree, and up to the tractor.

P1020697-1.JPG

Locked the cable brake, raised the winch, and headed out the trail to the firewood landing about 1/4 mile away.

P1020703.JPG

gg