Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,471  
You know what'd you like RBC. On You Tube, there is a guy building a log cabin from dead scratch. Although there are several of these, this guy is the one pictured where there is a roof support cantilevered off the main cabin.
It's a rather long vid but to see what he comes up with to mount the heavy wall logs is rather astounding.
watch

Fascinating arrow !! I enjoyed every minute and a nice rainy afternoon to watch. That guy sure is steady with his scribe and saw. There is a cabin a couple miles from here built like that now I know what it takes. I have worked on a couple of those kits with the 3 flat planed sides and the splines between the tiers - no craftsmanship required compared to what that guy demonstrated. Thanks for posting !!

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,472  
Fascinating arrow !! I enjoyed every minute and a nice rainy afternoon to watch. That guy sure is steady with his scribe and saw. There is a cabin a couple miles from here built like that now I know what it takes. I have worked on a couple of those kits with the 3 flat planed sides and the splines between the tiers - no craftsmanship required compared to what that guy demonstrated. Thanks for posting !!

gg
I know!!. That crane thingy he built was truly amazing on how he constructed it.
I also built my own from a kit as well and first went out to Idaho in 1972 with a crew to build one on a mountain side.
I hope to never unsee the majestic panorama I saw in Idaho.
Cheez. From 1970 to now, is like from 1918 to 1970.
That's kinda sobering and depressing all at the same time.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,473  
I split some more wood today, it’s hickory and is very knot filled and stringy. I’m glad for the hydraulic splitter. Just a very wild estimate but between cutting the tree down, cutting into length, splitting and stacking I’ll have 30 hours in it, roughly a chord when I’m done, maybe a little less.
IMG_2614.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,474  
I split some more wood today, it’s hickory and is very knot filled and stringy. I’m glad for the hydraulic splitter. Just a very wild estimate but between cutting the tree down, cutting into length, splitting and stacking I’ll have 30 hours in it, roughly a chord when I’m done, maybe a little less.
View attachment 828002

If you have to use much pressure, it's probably time to replace your file. (One of the quickest ways to dull a file is back-dragging it. Make sure you lift it off the tooth when returning the file for the next stroke.)

I'm not really sure how to describe the pressure I use. Much more like brushing my teeth than like scrubbing out pot with cooked-on crud.
I need to get a good file set up for sharpening my chains, what do you recommend

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,477  
I use Save Edge files. I've been very happy with them.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,478  
I got this kit when I bought my first Stihl saw several years ago, they still sell it. The top is the file in a guide. The thing in the middle is a gauge, I just use it to check the raker height. The bottom one is a file for lowering the rakers. New files are maybe $2 each for Stihl ones or a little more.

IMG_0620.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,479  
I got this kit when I bought my first Stihl saw several years ago, they still sell it. The top is the file in a guide. The thing in the middle is a gauge, I just use it to check the raker height. The bottom one is a file for lowering the rakers. New files are maybe $2 each for Stihl ones or a little more.

View attachment 828042
This is a great kit.
We sell alot of these at the shop.
These are made for Stihl by the Swiss company Valorbe.
Whatever files a person uses, a file card or even a stiff tooth brush is essential for top cutting performance of the file..

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,480  

View attachment 828042

That is a good guide set and another good one is the Husqvarna roller guide. The reason I like it better is that I can see what is going on at the tooth - seems to help me.

21_4_6-1.JPG

gg