Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,081  
For a wedge beater can I ask why a curved handle vs a straight one?

A couple reasons: 1) I don't know any better and 2) The last time I broke the handle that's what they had for a handle that would fit the axe head at the local hardware.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,082  
Every time I run this saw, I feel justified in spending way too much for it...(Although having a friend with a backhoe and thumb certainly sped things up) After 20 minutes of cutting the saw "woke up" and really got down to business. Haven't ran anything else that even compares.

Attachments

• 20230611_180453.jpg
    20230611_180453.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,085  
And to show my ignorance why are some handles curved?
I figured it would have something to do with how the axe handles when splitting wood, and that doesn't come into play at all when driving wedges - the curved handle would be a detraction when turned around (double-bit axes have straight handles).

This is a pretty good article about the subject: This Is The Reason Why Axes Have Curved Handles!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,086  
And to show my ignorance why are some handles curved?
I'm not sure, but in my experience, curved handles were easier to hold onto when swinging. A little more ergonomic for your hands. Also as Gordon found out, I can't remember seeing a straight replacement handle anywhere, so they seem to be more readily available. I never felt like I could get used to swinging the curved handles as well as the regular ones.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,087  
I figured it would have something to do with how the axe handles when splitting wood, and that doesn't come into play at all when driving wedges - the curved handle would be a detraction when turned around (double-bit axes have straight handles).

This is a pretty good article about the subject: This Is The Reason Why Axes Have Curved Handles!

Interesting article ning, thanks for posting it - Seems aesthetics is a main factor with some subtle physical benefits. I've been whacking stuff with a weighted stick my whole life and the only thing I ever noticed was some tools are better balanced or just feel better. To me my axe feels and swings fine in either direction.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,089  
A couple reasons: 1) I don't know any better and 2) The last time I broke the handle that's what they had for a handle that would fit the axe head at the local hardware.

gg
Great answer Gordon!