Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,511  
Great pics Duds13 - Looks like a first class hobby operation. Very nice.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,512  
Great pics Duds13 - Looks like a first class hobby operation. Very nice.

gg
Thanks so much! I'll be honest, everything was built and on the property when we bought it 5 years ago. Thankfully the original owners are still close by and taught us everything we needed to know. Never in a million years did I think I'd be making maple syrup, but it sure is fun!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,513  
Nice setup Duds13. (y)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,514  
Nice setup. Is that line up the wall a feed from an outside tank?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,515  
Nice setup. Is that line up the wall a feed from an outside tank?
Nice eye! Yes, we have a "sap house" that holds two 65 gallon tanks, and that gauge on the wall will give us an idea of how much is left in whatever tank we are pulling sap from when we are boiling. This is a photo of the sap house. If you notice the two tanks are tilting forward - they are spring loaded so when they get down to roughly 10 gallons of sap they will tilt forward to keep the remaining sap toward the front and flowing into the pan. We store all of our buckets, lids and collection tank here in the off-season.

1672583420903.png

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,517  
Very very nice. How many taps ? I guess a couple hundreds?

Trees looks like very healthy, red or sugar ?
Thank you! We typically put out about 95 taps. Trees are a combination of sugar and maple. The one photo of the tree with the buckets and the can of beer is out best sugar maple, we call it the "money tree" :)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,518  
Wind storm blow-over -
~ 125 yo Ponderosa Pine root ball blown over in a recent storm. The measurement across the cut off trunk was > 28" - Wish I had rear ballasts at the time!!

Attachments

• messages_0 (1).jpeg
    messages_0 (1).jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
  • messages_0.jpeg
    messages_0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,520  
I haven't been out in the woods since the big Christmas time storm. All that rain and the 40 degree week that followed took out all our snow and left everything pretty soft and sloppy. But it was 24 this morning and things stiffened up enough that I could do some trail clean-up. Nothing drastic just a half dozen fir. Three were big enough to get a stud-wood log or two from like this one - a log in the snag and a small one in the piece across the trail.

P1020013.JPG

The others were too small or too rotten so I just cut them into lengths I could maneuver, stacked them into the grapple, and dumped them off to the side.

P1020018.JPG

P1020019.JPG

P1020020.JPG

It wasn't much but it felt good to be out there.

gg