Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,601  
Bark spud seems like the perfect accessory for a SDS drill. :D

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,602  
We have an old one in front of our house. House was built about 1760 and in a photo we have from around 1890 the tree is just as massive as it is now. It's on the way out. Can't say I'm looking forward to the day I have to make it into firewood.

We sadly live in a time in northern NE when all those big sugar maples that that live so long and stood alone as monarchs in door yards and pastures are in decline. It is hard to watch them slowly fail and finely go over. Here is an old pasture shade tree. The pasture is gone and filling in with it's offspring. I used to put a chair inside it and use it as a deer stand. I did not have the heart to take it as firewood. I let it rest in peace.

BigMaple1.JPG

BigMaple2.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,603  
A picture would be worth a thousand

I'll get one tonight.
Meant to do it last night, but came home to a failing washing machine and an anxious Plant Manager.
Priorities.

P.S.
Washing machine is toast. Ran flawlessly since 1993, so no complaints.
Here's the "spud" photos:

P7170431.jpg

P7170433.JPG

P.P.S.
Had to look up S.D.S. drill, Jim.
Thought it might have something to do with the Weathermen on parade. :no:
Relieved to see it's just a power tool. Now I have tool lust.
To be honest, the beauty of the spud is just how simple, light and useful it is.
An example of something that's pared down to the point of raw utility.
Take anything away from it and it doesn't work as well; add anything and it doesn't work as well.
Similar to the ball peen hammer, in that respect.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,604  
now you see it

for size reference

now you don't

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,605  
I like the way you framed the photo T.K. as now your tractor looks like a toy....or you just cut up a Sequoia.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,606  
An example of something that's pared down to the point of raw utility.
Take anything away from it and it doesn't work as well; add anything and it doesn't work as well.
Similar to the ball peen hammer, in that respect.

I have neck nerve damage, so anything like that back and fourth motion would screw me up. I can run a chainsaw, but can't swing a maul. Holding the spud to make it work would also aggravate my hand nerve problems, but if I could hold a tool that did the work for me I'd be ok.

For now, if I want something barkless, I just plan on waiting for the aspen to slip and cut it then. :)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,609  
Some splitting today:

IMG_20150718_122203.jpgIMG_20150718_122242.jpgIMG_20150718_122247.jpgIMG_20150718_122252.jpgIMG_20150718_122300.jpgIMG_20150718_122321.jpgIMG_20150718_122649.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,610  
What kind of a tree did you have there?

that was a big old poplar. it was between 7-8 ft DBH. there were three limbs that were all cabled together, two came down about 3 yrs ago. the final one more recently