Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,761  
Beautiful country Cat - so different from the NE. We don't have much color yet. Seems very late.

That trailer load might be fire wood ?? Or is it for poles or lumber. Looks dry already.

I would have a hard time leaving your nice little camp spot !!

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,762  
Beautiful country Cat - so different from the NE. We don't have much color yet. Seems very late.

That trailer load might be fire wood ?? Or is it for poles or lumber. Looks dry already.

I would have a hard time leaving your nice little camp spot !!

gg

I was surprised to see that much color this soon. I'm glad I was able to see it, there is probably 10" of snow on it now. It was supposed to snow Wed and Thursday.

Yes the wood is firewood, it is so much easier to get long pieces and then cut and chop them at home.

We have been going to the same spot for a few years. Here's a picture of the beetle kill area. Wood for a lifetime.:thumbsup:
DSCN2666.JPGDSCN2667.JPG
There are literally miles of beetle killed pine forest in this general area.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,763  
How high is that? It's still green and pushing 90 degrees hear. When I left at 5:00 it was only 63 degrees.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,764  
Not exactly sure, but it's over 9000' and less than 10'000'.
When I showed up in the morning it was 34 degrees. With the storm coming in I'm sure it snowed up that high.
When I got there it was a complete blue sky, this is what it looked like when I left.
DSCN2676.JPG
Getting dark, cold and windy fast.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,766  
The numbers you show are for "dry" wood which shows Cottonwood to be about half of oak.

I am not positive that wet Cottonwood is heavier than wet oak but I know it is very close. It also depends on the time of year. If you cut a live cottonwood during a wet spring it is very heavy, mid-summer it is definitely lighter. Cottonwood has a lot of empty pore space in it that fills with water. If you cut one during a wet spring you can almost wash your hands on the end of it - very different from cutting a live oak.

No, there are numbers for both. That's what the "Green" column numbers are.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,767  
This is a great thread! I need to monitor this more.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,768  
Hauling wood in to season ready for next year. This load was nearly on the limit of my 3033r

Attachments

• 1474884165675.jpg
    1474884165675.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 311
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,770  
Someone said something about mouthfuls. Worked on a large silver maple still have to finish cleaning it up. That is a 36" bar on that 660

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 219
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 178
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 206
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg