Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,131  
I got a start to blocking up this winters firewood yesterday.

24_2_27-1.jpg

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,133  
Or looking again maybe you moved and piled them there for yourself ??

gg
No the county moved them there and stacked them for me. I know two of the three that are doing the work. I told them I’d get my log splitter for them and then show them where to stack it. He asked me if they should go ahead and build a fire for me in the fireplace? The logs they stacked up for me is only a couple of hundred feet from where they are working.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,134  
I got a start to blocking up this winters firewood yesterday.

View attachment 854655

gg
When l was logging and we had “firewood days” (yuck), we’d start by cutting rounds right off the bunched hitch on the skidded. This gave us a “cutting platform” so to speak that the skidder, with subsequent turns, would drive over, drop the hitch And we’d cut from that. This way the bar hardly ever hit the ground.
When this mess of rounds got to about 2 and a half feet high,we’d start splitting. We’d do 5 cords per day from 7am to 3 pm with a half hr for lunch loading the splits into a 2.5 cord capacity stake body With a conveyor belt.
Man l hated firewood days.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,136  
When l was logging and we had “firewood days” (yuck), we’d start by cutting rounds right off the bunched hitch on the skidded. This gave us a “cutting platform” so to speak that the skidder, with subsequent turns, would drive over, drop the hitch And we’d cut from that. This way the bar hardly ever hit the ground.
When this mess of rounds got to about 2 and a half feet high,we’d start splitting. We’d do 5 cords per day from 7am to 3 pm with a half hr for lunch loading the splits into a 2.5 cord capacity stake body With a conveyor belt.
Man l hated firewood days.

How often would that happen ? Sounds like it would make for long day if you were used to moving around in the woods.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,137  
How often would that happen ? Sounds like it would make for long day if you were used to moving around in the woods.

gg
When the mills weren't accepting stems for awhile.
The mills around here processed stems into pallets mostly.
It happened at any time as we weren't the only outfits supplying stems.

Sometimes once a month, sometimes 3 times in a month with the most vicious times being in the summer where you were on a landing with 90* temps and the sun beating down on you without the protection of a tree canopy overhead.

You hit the nail on the head Gordon as I loved logging and being in the woods and felt like a worm on a cement sidewalk on firewood days.
When I was homeless at 16 yrs of age before my foreman took me in, I didn't go into the city utilizing the spirit denigrating act of panhandling,
I went where my forefathers went...into the woods with my bow and arrow and literally lived off the land.
I actually declined on a couple occasions his invite to go live with him.
The woods are part of me such that I think I was born at the wrong time. I should have been born around Davey Crockette's time I think.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,138  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,139  
Nice, I wish someone would come over and cut some trees for me!
If you didn’t live so far from the corner store here, l’d be over in a heart beat. You’re a bit more than walking distance.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,140  
So got around to playing again, this time a firewood tree not a lumber tree. Its a pretty good sized sweetgum right on the edge of my saw yard.

Tree down
JWBS6242.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG

And my oddball way of marking and cutting.
IMG_1486.JPG

And started splitting this afternoon after PT.
IMG_1491.JPG