Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,861  
Yes the XP 346 is an excellent saw. I purchased mine in 2012, with tax $519. I also bought a used one at an auction later. It is my backup saw. But I have not had any problems with the 2012 saw. The 2012 saw came with a 18" bar but I immediately changes it out to a 20" speed tip bar. Runs really good. I have a Dolman 079 with a 24" bar that I use for larger wood. I had a Husky 359/ green gas cap which made it a EGO saw/ I did not like it. I gave it away to a relative who immediately left in the woods so somebody could steal it. O well.
Once saw a new in box 346 on eBay a couple years back. They wanted $950 for it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,863  
I saw a bunch on Friday in the neighbors field, made me want to check the spring season dates. I want to see what Hunt was raving about!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,864  
One of these days, I’m going to get a eat one of them wild turkeys!
Come on down we have plenty 38 this morning.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,865  
Some years back at a local shop, the owner got back a slew of the 246’s. He was scouring the pistons because he was adjusting the carb too lean before delivery to run the saw as fast as it could.
Not saying this happened to yours but it reminded me of what had happened at this chainsaw shop.

Love this saw myself. Excellent limbing saw and can empathize w this as indeed a sad day.

I have not found a definite "this is what did it in" yet. Other than running it too lean like you said an air leak is another common cause for over heating. I have had and used this saw for over 10 years and always set it a little on the rich side. The only suspect so far was restricted cooling air flow during steady cutting of firewood. I had cut a log with quite a bit of rot and the wet sawdust clung heavily to the cooling intake holes on the starter side. Some fir pitch in that area didn't help me.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,866  
I had a Stihl MS250 with similar damage, maybe even worse. The general consensus was it was run on straight gas. It’s certainly possible but I was never convinced that’s what did it.
3AD7A695-0705-4EE3-93F9-D3E58CB63587.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,867  
I am convinced there is two types of carbon. Soft stuff the engine can eat no problem but some very hard stuff that scares everything. I have seen some of the hard stuff using Amsoil synthetic 2cycle oil. I quit using that stuff and stick with Red Line.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,868  
I got a Stihl MS290 that had been run on straight gas and the damage was catastrophic. Ate the rings down to the piston, I mean they were gone. Metal bits and shavings everywhere, oh did I mention the giant hole in the side of the block? I yanked the engine and used the case in my older MS029 that had cracks in spots. Bonus, I got flip caps!!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,869  
A sad day. Lost my old and trusty 346 XP.

View attachment 792468

I'm going to rebuild it - parts on the way. Best 50 cc saw I have ever run.

gg
I’d take a look at the crank seals with age of the saw I wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t leaking. The 3 series were good saws especially for their time I ran the 385/390’s for years same the 372’s. That said we’ve lost our fair share of crank bearings out of those lower ends especially when they were setup to turn some rpm’s, I’d have a really good feel for any play and hope the pockets are still in good shape. It use to be on that series we’re told one top end then it was time to send them down the road because the bottom end wasn’t far behind, but we’d replace them fairly regularly.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,870  
I have used Amsoil 2 stroke oil quite a bit. It’s worked fine in everything else. I did rebuild my MS250 that I showed a picture above, new jug and piston, about a $100.