Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,801  
Surprisingly, a rolled up magazine or newspaper works well also.
I'm sure a nice green branch or stick would work too, you know, since you're surrounded by trees and all.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,802  
You generally have two triggers to fire three barrels which necessitates a lever on top or the side to determine which barrel you want to fire. That involves extra parts and fitting which adds to the cost.
How about the two triggers always fire the top bbls, just like any double trigger double bbl. shotgun, THEN sliding a "safety like selector" allows the front trigger to fire the bottom bbl.

Cost more, yes a little. Complicated, not really, it's about the same as a double shotgun...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,803  
How about the two triggers always fire the top bbls, just like any double trigger double bbl. shotgun, THEN sliding a "safety like selector" allows the front trigger to fire the bottom bbl.

Cost more, yes a little. Complicated, not really, it's about the same as a double shotgun...

SR
I think the designs of firearms is rather ingenious making things perform effortlessly.
I like the engineering in firearms to make them do what they do.
A lot is taken for granted in my mind.
The machining and tolerances of fine firearms as opposed to stamped pieces in cheaper guns, creates a complication simpler manufactured guns do not necessarily require.
Your gun is superlative in every regard and that took time, care, exquisite machining and diligence afforded its trigger mechanism as well as other fitment pieces.
All that to me makes your gun more complicated than a double barrel Ithaca side by side and I wish it were mine.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,804  
I have an over-under, 20ga. on top, .22 on bottom. Inherited it from a family friend, never used it, like it more for uniqueness.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,806  
I'm sure a nice green branch or stick would work too, you know, since you're surrounded by trees and all.
Yeah. The magazine was a discovery when recovering a car from a ditch.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,808  
Surprisingly, a rolled up magazine or newspaper works well also.

They will work too, for sure, but being crush proof and smooth makes it that much easier to work apart. My wife prefinished all the closet woodwork before I installed it so I had some closet pole cut-offs laying around. Keep a couple 6" pieces in my tractor tool box. I don't want anybody to know I keep a magazine in there.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,809  
Looking at the weather forecast this is probably the last week I work in the woods for a while. I had a back leaner today that I didn't dare wedge over because the butt looked so bad. I didn't know if the hinge would hold against the wedging and it could go over backwards. So I set up a snatch block and winched it over.

View attachment 789176

I backed up to the tree and climbed up on the winch to set the choker as high as I could. I have a couple steps welded on the winch to make it easy. It took a long strap to get the snatch block out where I needed it. I used a 6'er around the tree with a 9'er attached to that. I put enough tension on the cable that I see the top of the tree just barely start to move. That way I am pretty sure I can hold it w/o pinching my bar but it won't come over while I am cutting. I make a normal notch cut. On the back cut I left a pretty healthy hinge because of the rot. Then I winched it over.

View attachment 789182

The butt wasn't very sound as you can see.

View attachment 789183

When I couple two straps together like that I put a big dowel in the connection. That way it comes apart very easily. Without the dowel the straps tighten into each other and might never come apart. Don't ask how I know.

View attachment 789185

gg
When you are winching a leaner with your tractor winch like that, could you please help me understand more about the winch process?

I'm assuming that your winch uses a mechanical clutch? Are you able to apply tension and then lock the winch into position? Then apply more tension and lock into place again? Or do you have to start your pull and keep going until the tree is down? Are you able to feel the increase in tension similar to a hand winch?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,810  
Good question 2manyrocks. OK the basic winch operation goes like this. There is a clutch controlled by a rope. Normally disengaged and engaged by pulling the rope. Releasing the rope disengages the clutch. There is a pawl brake controlled by a second rope. If you pull the brake rope while there is tension in the cable the brake will hold when you release the clutch rope. You can then release the brake rope and the brake will still hold. When you pull the clutch rope again to winch in more cable the pawl brake will release.

JL501_2.JPG

The white rope on the left is connected to the clutch lever. The blue rope on the right is connected to the pawl brake lever.

So what I do in the back leaner situation is- after I have the snatch block and cable all set up I pull the clutch rope and start pulling in cable. The cable rises off the ground and starts putting tension on the tree. When I see the top of the tree just start to move I pull on the brake rope and then release the clutch rope. This applies the brake and the winching ceases. I go out to the tree and make my notch cut and back cut leaving a strong hinge and watching that the tree doesn't set back on the bar from lack of enough tension or start to fall forward on it's own due to too much tension. When the cuts are done I go back to the tractor and pull on the clutch rope to pull the tree over. This releases the brake. I release the clutch rope when the tree is falling in the desired direction which leaves the cable slack so it won't interfere with the falling tree. Hope the helps

gg

Last edited: