Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,301  
Well the narrow chain is obviously on purpose, to reduce cutting force and extend the battery life. I don't have any experience with them, only have 3/8 for my bigger stihl gas saws. Are the narrow ones harder to sharpen?
1/4” or .325? It’s going to depend on what you call sharp, one thing I’d think about is how the bars are attached. How many of you have ever ripped out mounts on saws over the years? As far as a 3/8’s on an electric saw it’s going to be a heavy girl in a hurry.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,302  
If I am going to do a significant amount of work, I always have a gas saw (Stihl 462) and an electric saw (EGO 56V 18" saw.)

The Stihl bucks logs, and it far outclasses anything electric that I've seen. But the electric shines for doing limbing and bucking smaller stuff. The electric is lighter weight, quiet, and I don't have to fuel it or pull start it. Saves a lot of wear and tear by the end of the day.
Not knocking the saw itself (I've never used an EGO chainsaw), or battery chainsaws in general (I own a Milwaukee M18), but "lighter weight" is not really an argument for a battery chainsaw, at least with current battery technology. That EGO saw is close to the weight of your 462 (though I'm sure the 462 outweighs it by a bit once you have fuel and oil in it.) A good gas saw of equal or greater power than the EGO weighs several pounds less.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,303  
indeed! I love helping other folks here spend theirs too.

So now my question is, what is the difference between the DCCS670B and the DCCS670x1 ? I presume the "B" is the older model?

It looks like the top one is saw only, & maybe the 2nd one come with a battery & charger? I only went by what little bit showed up in your post, I didn't follow the links. Just wanted you to be aware that could be different.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,304  
All of these are gigantic to my battery saw, obviously not for bucking logs, but to keep on the tractor when you are trimming trails in the Spring, it's amazingly handy!!

1669151962824.png

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,305  
I picked up a Ryobi 40 volt 14 inch saw on FB marketplace for 75 bucks with battery and charger; also found 2 more 40 volt batteries for 50 bucks. It is a great little saw which my wife loves as she has difficulty starting the gas saws and hates the noise and smell of them.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,308  
"lighter weight" is not really an argument for a battery chainsaw
Well, you burst my bubble. I looked it up-- you are exactly right.

I started out with a small Dewalt battery saw but upgraded after a year or so. The Dewalt was much lighter and I never gave it another thought when getting the bigger battery saw.

Hey-- if I take the battery out, the saw only weighs about half as much. Does that count? :D

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,309  
I know this has been asked before, but what are some possible strategies to deal with a large (dead) tree that is "hung up" in the forest and suspended in the air? This is a cedar tree I want to buck up and mill.

The tree is 26-30" at the base, and probably 100 ft long. It now has a slight rise above horizontal going toward the tip. Near the tip, it is at least 15 feet above the ground. Lots of snags keeping it suspended-- a heavily forested area. There are mostly branches from the tree holding it up, but also adjacent trees. Even trying to get a picture is a challenge.

I cannot access the butt end without getting on my neighbor property. I'm trying to avoid that. My logger suggested trying to pull from the tip using my logging winch, and "see what happens." If I could attach the end of the cable to somewhere near the tree top, maybe I could try. But trying to attach that cable, or set a choker, would be hazardous. It's probably 15 feet up and I'd be working under this tree.

I've thought about cutting the side limbs which are certainly much of what is holding it up. But I'm leery of making a cut and having the whole thing collapse.

There is a clearing just past the tip, so pulling it that way is desirable ....

Ideas?

Attachments

• CedarTreeHungUp.jpg
    CedarTreeHungUp.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,310  
I would explain the situation to the neighbor and drag the from the butt enough to get it on the ground.