Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,003  
Aren't you off by about 18K??

SR
Top right has comment count, the pages might be off if you look at 15 or whatever per page instead of 10

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220330-194444.png
    Screenshot_20220330-194444.png
    250.8 KB · Views: 80
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,006  
I'd like to try one of those processors - about how much split wood are you two able to work up in 16 hrs Shooter ?

I finished blocking up my wood this morning. Turned this pile from last Christmas

21_12_22-4.JPG

Into this one

P1010561(2).JPG

Time to get the splitter out and It'll have two full summers to dry. For me this is a good time to do my wood. March and April are transition months. Winter is over but real spring doesn't start until May when road work and gardening can start.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,007  
That's a pile of 'em Mr. Gordon...looks like some 24's slipped past Quality Control.

You must be a beast to be able to manhandle those!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,008  
Processor would not work for me really, I'm kind of a one man show and when splitting firewood I normally do one tree at a time. cut it down, buck it up, split and stack it, then I'm ready to get out of firewood mode, at least for a few days.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,009  
Gordon this is what we did in 15 hours:

Firewood processing flipped.jpg

That worked out to about 12-13 cords. It was our first time using a processor and so we went through a bit of a learning curve. I expect the next time, we will be at a cord per hour.

Output is dependent on the diameter of logs and the capacity of the processor, Some processors have a faster cycle time. The ideal log size for us is 8-12", and that gives one pass through the 4 way wedge. Smaller diameter logs yield less wood per cycle and larger diameter logs need to be split a second time.

The next time we will pre-sort the logs. Logs under 6 " will not be split, just cut and stacked. Logs over 12" will be set aside and processed with the 6 way wedge.

I have 20 cords of logs to sort through. See below. That should take about two days but not a lot of effort as I have a cabbed tractor and a grapple. Getting old forces me to work smarter and not harder.

20 logger cords.jpg

This is how we store our firewood...just under 1/2 cord per tote.
2020 Wood 1.jpg
2020 Wood 2.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,010  
Gordon this is what we did in 15 hours:

View attachment 739785

That worked out to about 12-13 cords. It was our first time using a processor and so we went through a bit of a learning curve. I expect the next time, we will be at a cord per hour.

Output is dependent on the diameter of logs and the capacity of the processor, Some processors have a faster cycle time. The ideal log size for us is 8-12", and that gives one pass through the 4 way wedge. Smaller diameter logs yield less wood per cycle and larger diameter logs need to be split a second time.

The next time we will pre-sort the logs. Logs under 6 " will not be split, just cut and stacked. Logs over 12" will be set aside and processed with the 6 way wedge.

I have 20 cords of logs to sort through. See below. That should take about two days but not a lot of effort as I have a cabbed tractor and a grapple. Getting old forces me to work smarter and not harder.

View attachment 739786

This is how we store our firewood...just under 1/2 cord per tote.
View attachment 739787View attachment 739788

Thanks for the detailed explanation along with the great pictures. Gives a pretty clear idea of the processor capability. Very impressive. Actually your whole system of working up and storing fire wood is very impressive. Very efficient !! So far I have not been able to find a local outfit that rents processors - seems like a good way to go.

gg

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

New 10' Work Bench with 15 Drawers & 2 Cabinets (A34302)
New 10' Work Bench...
1998 WOODS GROUNDBREAKER BACKHOE SKIDSTEER ATTACHMENT, S/N 660479, 14" BKT... (A34808)
1998 WOODS...
2007 Chevrolet 1500 Pickup (A33113)
2007 Chevrolet...
2022 John Deere 325G Track Loader (A33783)
2022 John Deere...
WEATHER GUARD TOOL DRAWER (A34808)
WEATHER GUARD TOOL...
2023 John Deere 8R 310 Tractor (A33028)
2023 John Deere 8R...