Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,701  
Some folks around here mill power poles, I don't care to do so and turn that work down...

I see some of the poles are turned into shingles...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,702  
Some folks around here mill power poles, I don't care to do so and turn that work down
Sawyer, Have you considered using a metal detector, if you are concerned with hardware?
I was given some pine that the owner said had hosted a tree house, we were able to locate the nails with a hand held metal detector, no harm to the saw.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,703  
Some folks around here mill power poles, I don't care to do so and turn that work down...

I see some of the poles are turned into shingles...

SR
I don't think I have ever seen a cedar utility pole. All I have ever seen were cresote treated pine. I have two that the Co-Op replaced on my farm laying in a barn. We cut a length off of one and it's not cedar.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,704  
These were cedar, you could smell it although they had lost some of the cedar smell from age. These poles were a little out of the way so were less unlikely to have signs nailed to them. I’m a retired land surveyor and this same Amish shop made lath and stakes that we used. 2/3 of there shop was dedicated to making these. Quite a setup, all sorts of jigs and equipment setup for that, all home made and run off of small engines and belts.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,705  
Sawyer, Have you considered using a metal detector, if you are concerned with hardware?
I was given some pine that the owner said had hosted a tree house, we were able to locate the nails with a hand held metal detector, no harm to the saw.
What's in them that I'm concerned with, won't be detected by a metal detector!!

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,706  
That was a concern about the lumber we got, how much treatment is in it? What is the treatment? I think his plan is to use the lumber outside for deer stands. Outdoor use I wouldn’t be to worried about. I noticed he used his dust collection system when he started cutting.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,707  
Looks like western red cedar if I had to guess.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,708  
That's a lot of nice cedar lumber DodgeMan. Looking at it you would never know it was sawn from a 50 year old power pole !
All our poles are Red Pine.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,709  
I’m not sure cedar is normal for our area now. One of the guys on the crew putting up the new poles and taking down the old ones said he thought they were put in in the 1950’s. Where numbers were nailed to them it protected the surface under them and was raised higher. I assume this was from weathering and wind born dust eroding them. I’d guess the diameter is an inch or more smaller from the erosion over the years.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,710  
That's a lot of nice cedar lumber DodgeMan. Looking at it you would never know it was sawn from a 50 year old power pole !
All our poles are Red Pine.

gg
Speaking of "old lumber" Gordon, I had a friend who worked for a med sized city's road maintenance crew . . . back after I got home from the military (1970) I started building on our land . . . he was pretty high up by then he gave me a present of old city sign posts true 4x4, 8x8 and 12x12 all the way up to 20' . . . redwood and cedar old growth heartwood from back in the late 1800, early 1900. They had many acres of these stored up sitting (steel has been the norm for many, many. . . :eek: anyway a bunch showed up on my land one day . . .

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Blattner Duke Portable Corral System (A33113)
Blattner Duke...
PICKUP TOOLBOX... (A34808)
PICKUP TOOLBOX...
NEW GOLDEN MOUNT 20FT. X 30FT. X 12FT. STORAGE BUILDING Snow Rating Test Report; SGS fabric (A34907)
NEW GOLDEN MOUNT...
3PT DIRT SCOOP... (A34808)
3PT DIRT SCOOP...
New Hydraulic Rock Bucket 72" (A34302)
New Hydraulic Rock...
WILMAR FERTILIZER SPREADER, (NOT COMPLETE)... (A34808)
WILMAR FERTILIZER...