Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,692  
My dear wife helped me split some wood this morning, she's shy, so I'm in the picture, wth my other girl, Allis.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0691.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0691.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 170
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,693  
Dump trailer full of firewood. I built it this spring using an old boat trailer I bought for $200.

View attachment 694764
Oh no Mr. RJPotts...you can't get away with only 2 pics!

It looks very slick based on your 2nd pic with the bed up.

Need some pics of the underside, the hinges, and your hydraulics set up!

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,695  
^^^^^^^
How long are the logs? Are they sawn at that length or slashed?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,696  
^^^^^^^
How long are the logs? Are they sawn at that length or slashed?

40’s is the length I’m shooting for there’s a 24’ up in the center and one 36 on the bottom right. The mill that these go to does speciality beams, cross arms, and gutters for historic buildings.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,697  
Wow! That is some impressive wood. The loader needing to use a "rocker" log as an aid to load emphasizes how big those big ones are. I'd sure like to see the milling process too.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,698  
So about three weeks ago I helped a friend load some old telephone poles on his trailer. These were cedar and were probably 50 to 70 years old. I wish I had gotten some pictures loading them but didn’t. The people that owned the ground didn’t want them so it was a help yourself thing. He hauled them to an Amish sawmill nearby and I watched a few of them get milled into lumber. First time I’ve seen that done,

So these poles were very light for there size and had some deep cracks. I didn’t think we would get much wood out of them but he milled them in such a way he got a lot of lumber out of them.

30C9A3F8-02AD-4174-B125-3D38689A0B49.jpeg
6D2AFB11-285B-4D73-9EB5-3AEC599B5BE6.jpeg
1A743280-E452-4D49-808F-E6E818C7B0E0.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,699  
^ WOW! Wow #1, at those truly massive logs getting loaded. Some impressive trees (rip).

Wow #2 at how much good cedar wood you extracted from... telephone poles?!? How could you be sure all the metal was out of them? Sorta surprised the sawyers wanted to do that job given how much metal could be lurking within.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,700  
These were poles on high tension lines and off the road a little ways. One pole had the number nailed to it but that was easy to pull. They were a bigger pole too which helped get more lumber. Just a guess looking at the prices of cedar lumber at Lowe’s it’s roughly $4000 worth of lumber maybe.