Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #102  
Guys a skid loader is a fantastic machine, but it’s too slow to gather hay bales quickly from a field. I can bring (2) 2,000lb square bales across a field @15+ MPH with a farm tractor. It’s 3x faster than a skid loader.

Around the barn or to the feeder & back, it’s fine for hay bales

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #103  
We used a JD 4020 with a loader to feed and do lots of heavy lifting on the farm. I can tell you the front end took a beating and we had to rebuild it from the abuse. That said still one of the toughest tractors for it’s size I know. But a Kubota L47 is not a 4020 and for lifting max capacity on a regular basis I would want a machine more designed for that kind of work.
4020's are overrated.a neighbour had one ,he bought front spindels by the truck load
My belarus broke the front spindels too, i replaced the front axle with a Oliver 1850 wheatland model axle ( live spindles) they never broke again.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #104  
4020's are overrated.a neighbour had one ,he bought front spindels by the truck load
My belarus broke the front spindels too, i replaced the front axle with a Oliver 1850 wheatland model axle ( live spindles) they never broke again.
You'll find a very small percentage of old farmers that would agree with your assessment of the 4020. Even the other color farmers. Everyone coveted that tractor. It brought tractors out of the dark ages. Still a solid design today. That's why a straight one will bring more than it sold for new. :cool:

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #105  
I definitely disagree with them being overrated. However if you carry heavy loads on a regular basis with no counterbalance you can and will damage almost any front end. The 4020 is one of the most versatile and reliable tractors ever made. Still very useful on the farm today.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #106  
If you've ever driven a skid steer with a round bale on the front for more than 50 ft you wouldn't consider it for a sole machine. Can't see over the bale, barely see around it. Three point spear on back of tractor, spear on loader. See over front bale, rear bale gives ballast.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #107  
I don't have any use for a compact tractor for heavy work, I've not had them hold up for me for that kind of use. I'm slowly getting rid of compacts and have replaced them with small FARM tractors. They have been a HUGE improvement.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #108  
I don't have any use for a compact tractor for heavy work, I've not had them hold up for me for that kind of use. I'm slowly getting rid of compacts and have replaced them with small FARM tractors. They have been a HUGE improvement.

Is it a coincidence that your first post here is a direct partial copy and paste from post #27?