Tractor Trade Up

/ Tractor Trade Up #1  

nelohshopper

Tractor
Massey 25 HP w/front end loader
I purchased a used 2016 Massey 25 hp w/front end loader, box blade and soft cab. Low hours. I wanted it for my small 5 acre farmstead. I'm finding that I may need something a bit larger. Open to suggestions. Located in rural ag community in central Nebraska so need to have something that can be serviced, locally.

/ Tractor Trade Up #2  
Well, what brands are local to you? Your Massey, what model is it? 25 horsepower could be a subcompact all the way up to a large compact, with their capabilities varying widely.

What are you looking to do with the machine? Do you want open station or a cab?

/ Tractor Trade Up #4  
What tacticalturnip said. You indicate the tractor isn't doing as well as you hoped at something. It would be helpful to know what it's coming up short on now plus what else you may have planned for it.

Many here are tickled with their 25HP (or less) machines on much more acreage. Some want, and others need something a lot beefier for the capability of just being able to perform the tasks - or performing them more quickly.

/ Tractor Trade Up #5  
All good suggestions above and good questions to ask yourself. On top of all that you should be aware that unless you get a tractor prior to 2014 in all probability it will have an on board computer and a diesel particulate filter if it's over 25 horsepower. This equals added complexity and expense in the long term. That is one reason why 25 hp tractors are so popular.

/ Tractor Trade Up #6  
1st off you'll be better off selling your old unit yourself. Then look at what price range and features you think you need. Don't be scared of tier 4 machines anymore as they have matured significantly in 10 years since 2014. I have a TYM T474 Cab HST that I have 460hours on, I run it above 1800 rpms so it has never requested a regen ever to date. Look at your options, it's starting to become a buyers market again slowly after the Covid craze.

/ Tractor Trade Up #7  
Buy your fifth tractor first so you don't have to buy more than one :)

/ Tractor Trade Up #8  
I'm all about getting bigger or more tractors, but if it's "low hours" at ~8 years old I'd be curious what you need it for as well.

/ Tractor Trade Up #9  
Post the specific tractor work you do (or would like to do), what brand dealers are within your area, and any budgetary constraints.

/ Tractor Trade Up #10  
Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!