Tractor Tire Repair

/ Tractor Tire Repair #11  
Sometimes you may be be fortunate - other times not so much. If it was sidewall damage on my tire - new tire.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #12  
safety sake replace the tire. you never know when you will need your tire at 100%
agree. i'd hire a mobile tractor tire repair to replace tire on site. gone are the days when i'd wrestle with loaded rears, come along to overhanging branches, etc. not sure i'd trust your method under full load, etc. but an interesting idea, let us know how it turns out, & safety 1st, regards

/ Tractor Tire Repair #13  
Are the tires in otherwise good or nearly new condition? Or are they bald and 30/year old dry rot?

A picture would go along way to help us understand if you are crazy or if it might be worthwhile?

If they are like new or otherwise excellent condition....do you have a need for weight? Or would consider loading them? Because another option is to have them foam filled. (which isnt really foam so dont get the idea of buying a bunch of cans of expanding foam). But to foam a tire they actually put holes in the sidewall so they can fill it with urethane rubber and let it set up.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #14  
I would consider a repair based on what I did with the tractor. If I just use it to pull a bushhog or mower or something basically lightweight with no issues such as crop harvesting time frames, or other things such as steep slopes where a failure could cause a chance of the tractor toppling down a hill. If the sudden failure of the patch could cause an issue, I would consider replacement but if (as in most of my cases) a suddenly deflated tire would just be a time issue and very little safety issues, I would probably give the repair a try.
I would not consider using that tractor to pull a trailer load of children on a hayride, but would have no problem using it for a little mowing around the house.
David from jax

/ Tractor Tire Repair #15  
Lots of good info here.
All I have is that I have seen many repairs like this at auction sales on older farm equipment.
Depends on what you will need to use it for.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #16  
I think the repair as you describe will work fine - but I would not put too many holes/stitches as they can tear out from flexing.

New tires are $500+ for the M and only replace if this would fail. As far as safety you should see it before it fails completely.
That is a cheap Chinese tire. Quality tires are a lot more today. Just reshod my M9 OS with Trelleborg Radials and it was 4500 for 4, mounted.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #17  
Sidewalls on lower HP tractors have been stitched up for a great many years.
Many have worked well.
When doing the stitches I'd recommend doing an X pattern. I have used liquid rubber to fill cracks in tires.
A good sized 6 ply boot on the inside after stitching to close up the gaps,
that tire could go for many years on an H.
Lot of people seem to equate a low speed tractor tire with the same concern as a car or truck tire running 75-80 mph.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #18  
Are the tires in otherwise good or nearly new condition? Or are they bald and 30/year old dry rot?

A picture would go along way to help us understand if you are crazy or if it might be worthwhile?

If they are like new or otherwise excellent condition....do you have a need for weight? Or would consider loading them? Because another option is to have them foam filled. (which isnt really foam so dont get the idea of buying a bunch of cans of expanding foam). But to foam a tire they actually put holes in the sidewall so they can fill it with urethane rubber and let it set up.

I don’t know if foam filling cost the same everywhere but it’s ridiculously expensive here. Way more so than buying a new tire. I don’t think they can foam a tire that’s already leaking either. I was quoted $3 a pound to fill skid steer tires and they estimated 200 pounds per tire. A rear tractor tire would be several times that much. I didn’t take them up on that offer because I could buy solid demolition tires for comparable money.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #19  
Well, I woke up this morning to a front flat on the tractor. I took it off and took it to a local tire shop. I asked them if they could install a tube, but after we aired it up and saw the slice in the sidewall, they said nope. I went home, and took the rear wheel off an Allis Chalmers B that I have, which matched. Called the local tire shop as I headed back out, and they had just dispatched their drivers on a call. So I called another, and took them there. Showed them what I had in mind, swapping the old rear tire onto the front rim. The guy suggested I just fix the old tire, instead of doing all the swapping around. So I let him put a patch on the inside of the slice, and then installed a new tube. When he aired it up, the slice opened up, but it held air. I will install in it the morning and see how it does. If it doesn't work, no big loss, I will just swap out the rear tire.
I guess I probably ought to consider getting a new set reasonably soon, as I am supposed to pull a wagon load of kids around in a couple months!
David from jax

/ Tractor Tire Repair #20  
As far as using your tractor for hay ride I recommend checking your insurance policy, the fine print in mine doesn’t allow use for hay rides.