Tractor Tire Repair

/ Tractor Tire Repair #1  

catman977

Tractor
IH Farmal M
I have a large Tractor Tire That has a Fish Mouth Rip in the sidewall. I plan to break the bead, and get the tire pried out to get my hand in behind the tear. I will clean the area inside and out before starting the repair. I plan to use Kevlar Twine and a curved sail Needle. I will drill small holes 1/16" around the tear aprox. 3/8" out. Then sew the tear together. after the stitching is done I plan to vulcanize a boot on the inside, and a Rubber Patch on the outside, or Spread Flex Seal liquid rubber over the outside repair. Replace the Tube with a new one. Anyone think this will or will not work Please comment. Thanks

/ Tractor Tire Repair #2  
I think it will work. Make sure you tie each individual loop of thread. Probably advise to take tire off rim and put blocks between bead to spread it open.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #4  
I think the repair as you describe will work fine - but I would not put too many holes/stitches as they can tear out from flexing.

New tires are $500+ for the M and only replace if this would fail. As far as safety you should see it before it fails completely.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #5  
In the sidewall, I'd just replace in now and be done with it.

You are going to have to sooner or later, it may as well be sooner, who knows how much tires will go up/cost later.

Have you looked for a good used tire??

SR

/ Tractor Tire Repair #6  
If the tire is sliced so bad it wouldn’t hold a tube without stitching I’d rate the chances of repair as pretty slim.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #7  
When the sidewall goes its best to replace it but its
your life. You don't know if the tire will give out or
how strong it is chances are you will be wasting your
time and money on trying to fix it.

willy

/ Tractor Tire Repair #8  
It's a slow speed vehicle not like you are gonna run it at 100 mph. Repairs like that have been done in field quite often, when there is no one to help and money is tight. Seen them out last the owners.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #9  
Several of those steps require a skilled hand to master and might work for a while. Wether you have those skills TBD. First time has low probability of success. Lost credibility using Flexseal.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #10  
Some of us, without much or any experience, have tried DIY repairs and been blessed with beginner's luck. On other occassions we have spent a lot of time and likely money making a short-lived repair. You have received differing advice from others, none of whom have actually seen the wound or even a picture of it. My suggestion is to let a pro repairman look at it and offer his advice. (A salesman is likely to try to sell a new tire.). My experience, upon which I base the suggestion is as follows:

Shortly after buying my tractor I ordered a snowblower. As I did not then have forks, I borrowed my neighbor's 1966 JD 300, pallet-fork-equipped, industrial tractor with gear drive and iffy brakes. I managed to get the blower out of the delivering semi-trailer and into my driveway without incident, but during later maneuvering I put a fork blade through the sidewall of a rear tire of my own tractor. A little good fortune was that a local tire company had their commercial/industrial shop about 5 miles away. The help there was perhaps amused but definitely sympathetic when I showed up with a virtually new (spew vents or "hairs" all over the treads) tire with a slit in the sidewall. A new tire would have cost several hundred dollars; I was happy to pay them $165 for the repair. That was over 8 years ago, and the tire has given me no problems.