Tractor Tire Repair

/ Tractor Tire Repair #22  
Last year over this way, a kid fell off a hayride, got run over and killed. Hope that guys insurance covered that accident!!

chit happens, today it's become a huge chance you take doing simple things!

SR

/ Tractor Tire Repair #23  
I don’t know if foam filling cost the same everywhere but it’s ridiculously expensive here. Way more so than buying a new tire. I don’t think they can foam a tire that’s already leaking either. I was quoted $3 a pound to fill skid steer tires and they estimated 200 pounds per tire. A rear tractor tire would be several times that much. I didn’t take them up on that offer because I could buy solid demolition tires for comparable money.
I haven't inquired on awhile.....but last I did was about 5 years ago. That was on my old L3400 bota with 11.2-24 ag tears and 7-16 ag fronts

It was ballpark $250 for rears each and $80ea for fronts.

My hold up was being without a tractor for a 2-week turn around because they waited til they had several to do.

So I never did it because of that. But was constantly fighting flats being a bushhogging tractor and getting thorns and saplings poke through.

Knock on wood....I've been lucky with the tires on the MX. But I am also more selective of the jobs I choose and refuse to run over any thorn trees (locust) if I see them. Only issue so far was catching some brush just right and knocking off a valve stem.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #24  
agree. i'd hire a mobile tractor tire repair to replace tire on site. gone are the days when i'd wrestle with loaded rears, come along to overhanging branches, etc. not sure i'd trust your method under full load, etc. but an interesting idea, let us know how it turns out, & safety 1st, regards
Just curious: why do you show a picture of the last Tasmanian tiger, if it by happenstance is not just for unadulterated fancy?

/ Tractor Tire Repair #25  
Just curious: why do you show a picture of the last Tasmanian tiger, if it by happenstance is not just for unadulterated fancy?
probably the ladder, always fascinated by the beast, too bad they're long gone. thx for asking, regards

/ Tractor Tire Repair
Thanks for all your Replies. This is no small tire 18-4 X 38 on a 16" rim, and yes I'am a somewhat shade tree machinist. I priced a new tire and it was over $1200. a used one $700. So far I paid a tire company 40 dollars to break the tire down, which was cheap, compared to the energy I would have spent, doing it my self. I have been doing a lot of research, and found a product called 3M PR40 weld, that will glue the tear tight. I will still sew it with the Kevlar, and Vulcanize a Big Patch, on the inside and outside of the Wall. The Valve stem hole is worn some, so I will weld it shut, and relocate a new hole for the New Tube Stem. Darn Calcium is not good to these rims. Just wondering if they have something better to use for weight? My Tractor is a IH 1466 and I'm repairing things to put it on the market, someone else can put on a new tire if they want to. I need to change the Hydraulic Pump also as it's steering only works on warm days. I'am getting too old for all my toys, so need to make life a bit simpler.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #27  
Only you will know the economic benefits of the repair. Might hurt the resale compared to a new or used tire? I do appreciate your research and development endeavor.

Chloride in the calcium chloride is the oxidizer causing the corrosion.
Sugar is soluble in water. Can put 5# in a gallon of water with no volume change. That’s why they use beet juice.

Most valve stem hole repairs just weld a washer. SS washer even better. Any plate or washer drilled to size on a drill press is easier than drilling a wheel.

Had a Kubota M5030 that had separate steering pump and reservoir with similar issue. Feeding round bales in winter was one of its chores. It had a fine stainless steel screen in the reservoir for the intake to the pump. Removed it look fine but cleaning with brake cleaner removed a lot of fine black material. It would work fine for another 7-8 years and need cleaning again.

/ Tractor Tire Repair #28  
Thanks for all your Replies. This is no small tire 18-4 X 38 on a 16" rim, and yes I'am a somewhat shade tree machinist. I priced a new tire and it was over $1200. a used one $700. So far I paid a tire company 40 dollars to break the tire down, which was cheap, compared to the energy I would have spent, doing it my self. I have been doing a lot of research, and found a product called 3M PR40 weld, that will glue the tear tight. I will still sew it with the Kevlar, and Vulcanize a Big Patch, on the inside and outside of the Wall. The Valve stem hole is worn some, so I will weld it shut, and relocate a new hole for the New Tube Stem. Darn Calcium is not good to these rims. Just wondering if they have something better to use for weight? My Tractor is a IH 1466 and I'm repairing things to put it on the market, someone else can put on a new tire if they want to. I need to change the Hydraulic Pump also as it's steering only works on warm days. I'am getting too old for all my toys, so need to make life a bit simpler.
When I repaired a valve stem hole the last time I just welded a machine bushing on the inside to have a new valve stem hole in the original location.
Yep, calcium chloride is rough on the rims, at least the originals lasted over 40 years ;)

/ Tractor Tire Repair #30  
Conveyor belt repair clips to fix splits in tractor tires.. lay out all your holes for clips, fill split with your choice of sealant, install repair clips, trim off excess stud, patch on inside of tire.

1e_e2a31724-0c08-45e9-af5a-3bf71e3fb7f4_300x289.png