Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #31  
I don’t understand - you bought something sold as a 2021 model - and now that someone with an interest in acquiring it at the lowest possible cost makes up a reason why they can’t give you more for it - citing the manufacture date not being 2021 - you want to know what “recourse” you have ? Simple - say no to their offer and move on.

In manufacturing - a MODEL YEAR refers to the specs of a model - not the calendar year of its original build. Most often found in autos - you will see 2024s on dealer lots now (or shortly as the strikes effected intro of new models overall). Not uncommon for redesigns to be introduced a year before the actual calendar year. My 2021 truck was built in June 2020 - it just means that my truck has features introduced with the 2021 MY - and is missing those from the 2020 MY. I’ve seen. Products made in April 2014 sold as 2013s - because they have 2013 specs (manufacturer had a surplus of parts - so instead of just warehousing/destroying - they ran a 2nd line building 2013 specs and sold at a lower price point than the new/updated 2014 spec).

It’s not a living thing - it does not have a “birthday” - it’s mechanical and model years are commonly used to identify common specs. Hour meters/odometers are used to indicate usage on mechanical things - and in general less use = better as it’s presumed to have a typical expected useful life before requiring refurbishment/rebuild. Yes - in theory a 2020 could be more “aged” than a similar unit built in late 2021 for example - and fail slightly sooner - but that’s all just speculation and honestly the expected failure rate in general doesn’t spike by any meaningful amount - it’s all physiological at best.

Quit trusting the opinions of someone trying to buy something from you - even if they are employed by the same person who sold you that item. Their “opinions” will change by what interest they have in the item. Guarantee if he had your “2021” - the opinion would be it’s a 2021 and “only 2 years old” - because people seemingly can’t count when calculating model years vs calendar years - yes it has been less than 3 calendar years since 2021 ended - but 3 MYs have passed since then 2021, 2022 and 2023 (again - possibly 4 if 2024s are out now. Amazing how people lose the ability to do simple math when describing things they have a financial interest in.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #32  
I think there is alot more information that none of us know.....and or answers to questions that can only be answered by the OP....who has only made this one post exactly a week ago, and has not been back to this forum since

Now that is an Interesting comment. Thank you, LD1.
Lately I've been noticing a lot of one time posts that that follow a peculiar pattern that I don't recall happening at TBN in years past.

1. The initial post starts with a story about an interesting tractor transaction, and ends by asking for advice about buying a new tractor.
2. The initial post is interesting, personable, and well written - but lacks detail and is never technical or speculative.
3. The thread takes off with a life of its own and often develops into an interesting conversation.
4. And The Original Poster is never heard from again.

It is the last thing - about the OP never posting again that caught my attention.
Being involved enogh to start a conversation and then just ignoring the subject when it takes off on its own seems unlikely. Even more unlikely is for that type of social behaviour to become more common. Or is that just my perception?

rScotty

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #33  
I had the same problem with a Massey Ferguson purchase. I ended up trading it in on a John Deere and made sure
I was purchasing the model and year tractor I wanted. I wanted to buy a larger tractor and was told by the original
dealer the tractor I had bought was 2 years older than I thought. Never delt with that dealer again and made sure
everyone I knew was told that story. Lets just say you got taken and it is no fun being had by any dealer and really
no recourse.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #34  
Former federal rules prevented a manufacturer from selling next model year vehicles with a production date prior to 9/1 of the current calendar year. This was fairly recently changed by EPA legislation that now allows a manufacturer to do so as early as January 2nd, basically a full year 'ahead'. It's essentially federally approved fraud, imho. But it was probably the quid pro quo to get vehicle manufacturers to agree to much tougher environmental standards.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #35  
Interestig postings.
With that I want to add what I knew when I was working for a dealer.
The year was determined by the trade guide which included the make, model, options, year of production by serial number last published MSRP and it also included a list of features and options for the tractor. It also listed an average trade in value by year built.
Often we had some tractors that just wouldn't sell, but were left sitting on the lot, sometimes for a year or two, and due to current produced tractors haveing had price increases, the "old" tractor still reguarded by the manufacturer would sell due to the lower price. Sometimes if another dealer had a new "older" tractor they could be transferred and sold at the lower price.
One year we transferred in a bunch of combines from Tenessee (?), that year was dry for them, the combines were already a year or two old and were at a lower price than the factory fresh ones. But they were sold as the year they were built.
So wheather a car, combine or tractor the year built does affect the value of the machine. The only tractor I have seen that really increased in value was a TO35 Ferguson that only had a few hours on it and still looked as it did when it rolled out of the factory door.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #36  
!-800-call sam, he will sue their pants off!!

AND you only have to pay if they win!!!

SR

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #38  
Consumers buy at retail and trade in to a dealer at wholesale. If it was a pre-computer tractor it would bring a auction or private sale for a premium price probably far more than original selling price....but it isn't. Private sale is usually always more than a trade-in offer, unless the dealer bumps the price of the new item.