Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #1  

Darron123

Tractor
Massey Ferguson, 5711 D
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. So last year I bought a Massey Ferguson 5711 D from a dealership. I am in Texas. It was advertised as a 2021 year model. I have bought several pieces of equipment from this dealership And have been very happy with their service until now. I am looking at selling them the tractor back to them and when I sent them the picture of the specifications plate the sales guy asked me how I came up with the year model. I informed him that it is what they sold it to me as. So comes to find out that it is actually a 2020 model. Manufactured in June 2020. On their website it was advertised as a 2021 and all of my paperwork on the transaction shows it as a 2021. So they are wanting to give me less money for it. I guess I am a little bit upset with the situation and do not know if I have any type of recourse. thanks for the help.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #2  
Lots of times June 20 can be a 21' model year.
And how much less are they offering ? Dealers are like that. And will lowball a trade in and especially a outright sell to them. List it out in the real world for more $$.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #3  
agree that even if manufactured in 2020, the model year can be a 2021 etc. Companies usually have a cutover date depending on what updates they might be making year on year. It can happen earlier or later, sometimes without any real reason I've discovered.

But I agree with you, if they sold you a 2021. Then they are buying a 2021. If it was a separate dealer with no involvement in the original purchase then I would understand their confusion, but since they sold you the tractor it seems ridiculous to question the model year now lol. I would just show them the purchase paperwork and explain that's what was sold to me so that's what I am selling to you.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #4  
Tractors aren't like cars where their advertising is geared to models which change by the year.
Tractors are more like machine tools that are made in a manufacturing run and warehoused until dealers call for them. They can stay crated for years, and traditionally are new the year that they are sold, not the year they were made.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #5  
Tractors aren't like cars where their advertising is geared to models which change by the year.
Tractors are more like machine tools that are made in a manufacturing run and warehoused until dealers call for them. They can stay crated for years, and traditionally are new the year that they are sold, not the year they were made.
I agree to disagree.
They are new even if they have been stored for some time. Zero hours and all that.
When I was a kid and my father was selling and buying tractors it was the model' condition and hours that mattered. A certain model would have a particular number of years it was made.
Now trade in a tractor. Condition and hours matter, yes.
But now the year of manufacture comes in.
I was told my GC2300 would be worth more on trade if it was a year or two newer even in the same condition.
I told the sales guy and dealer to go pound salt.
It's not like they have 10 year runs or change major features every year.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #6  

This would be the case if it wasn't for the dealer trying to use a presumable mistake on their part to achieve a better bargaining position; they sold it to OP as a '21, and they ought to take it in trade as a '21, otherwise he ought to walk. They can eat this little slip up, or they deserve to.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #7  
Tractors aren’t like cars where a newer model year adds value. If you got it at a fair price I wouldn’t want them to buy it back. The exception to this if they did a lot of upgrades to it on the newer model year.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #8  
Sounds like maybe the sales guy doesn't know his stuff...or he is trying to lowball you on the sale. Given the market, they probably aren't too interested in a used model unless they can get it cheap.

Truth up above, just like with cars, model years don't match manufacturer dates.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #9  
Tractors aren’t like cars where a newer model year adds value. If you got it at a fair price I wouldn’t want them to buy it back. The exception to this if they did a lot of upgrades to it on the newer model year.

It looks to be that his desire to get rid of the tractor is unrelated to the error here, and that it was not discovered until the dealer pointed it out.