Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #11  
Tractors aren’t like cars where a newer model year adds value. If you got it at a fair price I wouldn’t want them to buy it back. The exception to this if they did a lot of upgrades to it on the newer model year.
What absolutely increases the value of the older tractor is the new, upscale pricing of the new models.
This how l can sell my 10 yr old tractor now for almost what l paid for it.
Cars did this for the first time during Covid When production was curtailed.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #12  
As others have stated its based on the year it is sold not manufactured. This is why when you get parts for tractors and other equipment such as mowers they ask for the serial number and not the year model as they track the parts compatibility by serial number sequence.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #13  
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. So last year I bought a Massey Ferguson 5711 D from a dealership. I am in Texas. It was advertised as a 2021 year model. I have bought several pieces of equipment from this dealership And have been very happy with their service until now. I am looking at selling them the tractor back to them and when I sent them the picture of the specifications plate the sales guy asked me how I came up with the year model. I informed him that it is what they sold it to me as. So comes to find out that it is actually a 2020 model. Manufactured in June 2020. On their website it was advertised as a 2021 and all of my paperwork on the transaction shows it as a 2021. So they are wanting to give me less money for it. I guess I am a little bit upset with the situation and do not know if I have any type of recourse. thanks for the help.
If that was stated to you, you have a case.
l believe they have other motivations that if stated, would make ppl go thru the roof so they come up with another reason. This is a lame one if so.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #14  
Is this part of a trade-in?

I'd call the dealership back (or go there in person). Ask to talk to the sales manager.

Tell him or her straight up that you want your tractor to be prorated as a 2021 model year.

If you can't reach a valuation that you agree with, then walk out and go somewhere else. Even go to a different town or brand.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #15  
If you have provable loss of value because the item was factually misrepresented sounds actionable to me given the dealer is making and affirming both statements.

Only you know if it is worth the effort.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #16  
I bought a tractor in 2021 and it may have been a 2020 or it may have been a 2021; I was wondering about that initially....not a show stopper but just wondered. It was sitting on the dealer's lot when we made the deal in January so it could have been a 2020.
If it really mattered to me I would get the serial number and research the yearmodel. As it is, it really doesn't matter to me as it was new with single digit hours on the dash, serves my needs perfectly and I had a great deal in the purchase.

To each his own!

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #17  
I bought a tractor in 2021 and it may have been a 2020 or it may have been a 2021; I was wondering about that initially....not a show stopper but just wondered. It was sitting on the dealer's lot when we made the deal in January so it could have been a 2020.
If it really mattered to me I would get the serial number and research the yearmodel. As it is, it really doesn't matter to me as it was new with single digit hours on the dash, serves my needs perfectly and I had a great deal in the purchase.

To each his own!

Yeah, I wouldn’t worry about MY too much with a tractor. I don’t think it affects value too much.
If you like the tractor, just keep it, use it and be happy.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #18  
Either I've misread the situation, or a few of you have. He's not looking to get rid of the tractor because of this, he only found out because the dealer is offering him less money based on the tractor being a 2020 when it was sold to him as a 2021.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #19  
Yeah, I wouldn’t worry about MY too much with a tractor. I don’t think it affects value too much.
If you like the tractor, just keep it, use it and be happy.
I'll go with lower hours being preferable, but I'm not convinced that just being newer is better. There is an reasonable argument that manufacturing and assembly quality have peaked in some countries.
And Covid had a part to play as well.

/ Tractor sold to me as a 2021, but is actually a 2020 #20  
It appears to me the OP wants one less tractor and is trying to sell it back to the dealer. In my experience it would be best to sell it privately.

Since we built here I've bought 5 tractors and sold 3 of them. Only one was "sold" to a dealer as a trade. When shopping for the L3200 in 2012, the deal was made on the L3200 for just under $16K cash. The salesman was aware I was replacing a B7500, and was quite impressed with the condition of my company truck - and assumed the B7500 was well kept. He asked if they could come to my place and check it out.

He worked up a number I was happy with. It was around $1K less than I planned on advertising it for. Being able to have it show as a trade saved me over $600 in taxes. I probably would have taken $1K less than asking price, so it worked out well.

The current L4240 came home at the end of 2018, but we kept the L3200 for about a year before listing it for sale. After using it for 7 years, it sold for a little more than $2,500 than I paid for it (with a few refurbed and homemade implements included in the deal).

EDIT TO ADD: Here's a "Family Photo" from the day when the L3200 came and the B7500 went.

Attachments

• All Three.JPG
    All Three.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
Last edited: