Tractor Portability

/ Tractor Portability #51  
Harv - I think you hit the nail on the head by including both parents and children in the process. I wasn't intending to minimize the parents' role at all because I take the parents' influence in the childrens' attitude for granted. For example, I really don't believe inner-city kids are less intelligent than suburban kids - but the example set (the "motivation and support", you termed it) by their parents leaves a lot to be desired, in most cases.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Tractor Portability #52  
Harv,
when it's real important, you'd be there quickly in a Helicopter. Even as big as Placerville is, they do not have a real trauma unit. A lot of folks get shipped to Sac because of that.

Hospitals
Here: 6 minutes from one of the finest in the state and less than an hour from several of the finest in the country.
There: 30 minutes from a small country medical facility and more than an hour from a "major" hospital.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Tractor Portability #53  
Bob -
You paint a mighty purrty picture. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I'm starting to think I'm concerned not so much about living in the country, but about the transition. Not so much for my 3-year old boy, but my daughter is 8 (going on 16) and is quite the social butterfly. It's hard to contemplate putting her through the pain of leaving her neighbors, school chums, soccer team, swim team, brownie troop, etc. Or maybe she'd be fine and I'm being the big baby. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Mark -
I'm sure there are both good and bad parents no matter where you go, but country folk in general seem to be a little more family oriented. I gotta tell you -- if I could move to the country and have all of you guys for neighbors, I wouldn't even have to think about it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

RobertN -
Funny you should mention helicopters. Two of my buddies own and fly helicopters, and we've talked for years about literally "dropping in" on my property. I even went so far as to clear it with the neighbors, but the fact is that it's so heavily wooded and hilly up there that there's no good place to set down anywhere on the entire 42 acres.

But now I have a tractor!!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Think I could clear off a level patch of ground somewhere?

In fact, now that I'm thinking of it, do they make compact helicopters in orange? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

BTW -- there is one major drawback to moving to the country. I'd have to give up my DSL and go back to a dialup modem!
cry.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Tractor Portability
Harv, sorry about selling Grumpy w/o running it by y'all here on the board, just couldn't pass, especially when I got backed into a corner by the individual paying what I said I would consider.
Still trying to figure out what to do with the barrel pump, and sand blaster I had bought. I don't need the pump, and the purpose I bought the sand blaster for (the box blade) is no longer here either. I can still use it to clean up my son's birthday present, a minibike. I also have a 5hp gas motor pump that also needs repainting.
Wasn't a planned thing!

/ Tractor Portability #55  
Scruffy -

I hope you know when I'm jerking your chain. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I know a lot of us are never quite sure if the tone of our messages is being interpreted correctly, but I think we're comfortable enough to poke a rib here and there with no malice aforethought.

Now don't go tempting me with your sandblaster -- I used to have one, but eventually ran out of uses for it, and now I'm back to wishing I hadn't gotten rid of it. I haven't really tested out the air compressor my dad left me, so I'm not even sure where I stand air-volume-wise.

I think I have enough on my plate to keep me busy for quite a while, so I'm going to pretend you didn't mention it.

For now. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Tractor Portability
Harv,
I have this propensity for digging out rusty relics and refurbishing them. Trying to talk a neighbor into parting with an old Sears home building decorative concrete block mold and ???. Cool looking thing, but rusty as the dickens, even though it isn't frozen up. It has a crank, gears, mold, decorative press, stand, and mixing area, with funnel to pore into the mold. He ain't said no, so the fight ain't over yet! Great item to use the sand blaster on.
Like I said, I seem to drag a lot of odds and ends out of where-ever, and enjoy bringing them back to life.
The barrel pump will just have to roost in its box until I get another tractor. Probably sometime next year, but it will be a newer (unless its a CUB) Kubota (not NEW, just newer), with more ability.
Yessir, I recognize chain yankin'!

/ Tractor Portability #59  
BUD wins hands down every time!