Tractor Newbie

/ Tractor Newbie #1  

sengli

Silver Member
Tractor
RK55HSC
Just moved out to the country and got 12 acres. Going to do some snow plowing, mowing and drive way maintenace. Am looking at the bobcat CT335 HST. Really don't know anything about tractors. Seems like descent unit from what I have read and the local dealer is pricing them right $16K new with a loader. Sound good?

/ Tractor Newbie #2  
I bought the same model a couple of weeks ago. It was 16500 delivered with loaded rear tires, a block heater, and a rear work light installed. It was by-far the best priced 35hp tractor I could find in two months of shopping. Bobcat and Kioti are both offering alot of nice features at prices that other brands aren't coming close to.

Because of price, I was looking primarily at used tractors before I stumbled onto my local Bobcat dealer's lot a couple of months ago. I didn't know they even offered a compact tractor until then. So far I have only good things to say about my new tractor.

/ Tractor Newbie
Hey Milk

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe when we go in to buy this unit, if they wont come down on price much more maybe I can get them to throw in a block heater or rear lights which would be nice. I have owned alot of things with engines on them, but never a tractor. Since you had a block heater installed, I can assume you are in a cold climate then? The sales I guy I spoke with said they really weren't needed, becuase these tractors start readily.

/ Tractor Newbie #4  
I have 17 acres and a CT 230. I maintain over 2000' feet of gravel driveway, till/cultivate over 7 acres of AG land, clear snow with a 78" blower and bucket, haul firewood on pallets, and split wood with my log splitter.

I have never thought...Gee I wish I had more power. What I am glad about is the size. It is large enough to do what I ask of it and still small enough to be nimble and agile.

I would recommend a block heater for any temps below freezing. I do know they WILL start at fairly cold temps but they do more wear and damage with cold starts. Why not spend $50 or less and save your engine?

Just my two bits.

/ Tractor Newbie #5  
Just moved out to the country and got 12 acres. Going to do some snow plowing, mowing and drive way maintenace. Am looking at the bobcat CT335 HST. Really don't know anything about tractors. Seems like descent unit from what I have read and the local dealer is pricing them right $16K new with a loader. Sound good?

Sounds like a good price, what this Bobcat of Ft Wayne?

/ Tractor Newbie #6  
........... if they wont come down on price much more maybe I can get them to throw in a block heater or rear lights which would be nice.................. The sales I guy I spoke with said they really weren't needed, becuase these tractors start readily.

The block heater is a small item that does make a big difference. Out of curiosity I tried one below freezing start without it, and it is safe to say that I will be using the heater before every start from now until spring. The Bob-tach on the FEL is also a $600 option. Check to make sure it is in the qoute if you want it.

16k is a good price. It sounds like you may have found a guy that wants to sell a tractor. If you are able to beat my deal I would definitely like to know about it. I don't think I left much on the table.

/ Tractor Newbie #7  
Daedong dosen't make an engine for compact tractors that starts easily in "cold" weather, IMHO :(

/ Tractor Newbie #8  
Daedong dosen't make an engine for compact tractors that starts easily in "cold" weather, IMHO :(

Each model engine is different but I've started my 30 horse at -4'F with two cycles of the glow plugs. I run 5W-40 oil which may help. Each cylinder is firing but you can tell it's not like a warmer temp start up. I let it run for a minute or two at 1,000 rpms before I bump it up to 1,400 for another good 5-10 minutes before I put it to work. As others mentioned, a heater would be good below freezing temps.

/ Tractor Newbie #9  
Were I live a block heater, battery blanket and oil pan heater are more or less mandatory, if you really want to be able to start and use your tractor in the winter. Even after the tractor starts it's usually a good 20 to 30 min. before the hydraulic fluid is warm enough that you would want to even try using your hydraulics. Most times when I'm snowplowing the temp is averaging -25c. Once it gets down to -35c I don't even both trying to use the tractor as usually something breaks.

/ Tractor Newbie #10  
Not to side track this post but a quick question to Patches. I see that you are using a Blizzard 74" snowblower and I believe your tractor engine is 30hp with 25 pto. I have a CK30hst, 30/24hp, and was looking at a Blizzard 63" but that would just cover the rear R4 tire width. How does your tractor handle the 74?