Tractor hour rating

/ Tractor hour rating #1  

JME81

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota LX2610HSDC
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a BX series. Can you explain what the hours of use is good for other than how many hours it's been ran? Is it like mileage on a car? If I'm buying used and see one for 150 hours, should I be concerned? I plan to use it for mowing, snowblowing and using the loader.

Thank you,

Edit: 8 Acres of land, 4 or so would be mowed.

Last edited:
   / Tractor hour rating #2  
Tractor fluid changes are timed by engine hours, unlike cars where odometer miles indicate recommended oil changes.
Tractors have hydraulic fluid as well as motor oil to change, at different intervals.

A WELL MAINTAINED BX tractor should run 8,000 engine hours without major problems, other than operator induced problems.

An 18-horsepower BX will not throw snow nearly as far as a 25-horsepower BX.

Be aware a BX, in common with other subcompact tractors, has only 9" ground clearance, less with a mid-mount-mower, which can sometimes be limiting. The next heavier tractor category, compact tractors, have 12" to 15" ground clearance.

Last edited:
   / Tractor hour rating
Hi, thank you for the information. The BX that I'm looking at has 23HP. Either one though I suppose would through farther than my pusher that I have now. :)

/ Tractor hour rating #4  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum JME. You didn't state how munch lad you have or what you will be using it for.

/ Tractor hour rating
Hi, thank you.

8 Acres of land, 4 or so would be mowed. The driveway would be 150' ~.

/ Tractor hour rating #6  
It is a good thing that you are looking at at least 23hp with all that to take care of.

/ Tractor hour rating
I can't afford to go any larger but it would sure beat a pushing lawn mower and a pushing snowblower.

/ Tractor hour rating #8  
An 18-horsepower BX will not throw snow nearly as far as a 25-horsepower BX.

Sorry, I disagree, I had both 18 and 23 hp BX's running the same snowblower and you couldn't tell the difference. Also, I mow about four acres and the 18 did just fine there, too. I traded for a 23 "just because." Both machines ran a 54" mower.

/ Tractor hour rating #9  
:2cents: Since we're talking what can be done with Hp, I had a 23 Hp (19 PTO Hp) Kubota L series and ran a 6' finish mower without a problem.

/ Tractor hour rating #10  
10,000 hours on a CUT is going to be completely worn out. Maybe 6,000 hours on a SCUT. Comparable to 300,000 miles on a car.

Of course maintnance is everything along with abuse levels. But those hour ranges are decent ballpark numbers to figure out how much life might be left. Some people have gotten cars to a million miles, but that isnt common.

Especially for home use the age of the machine & lack of parts or support from the dealer is more likely to junk a machine than wearing it out from hours of operation.