Tractor Died While Blowing Snow!

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #41  
How much does the winter fuel blend that a service station has vary as a function of temperature? I was always under the impression there were essentially summer, and winter (i.e., only two). Are there more?
Blending with #1 will be shown as a ratio....60/40 is 60% #2 to 40% #1. More #1 will be used as the temps drop. Around here, 50/50 is common in January. For every 10% of #1 used, the cloud point drops 3 deg F.

Then there is fuel treatment which is a chemical anti gel you can add. Those work best when mixed in the fuel when the temps are above 32deg F.

In the old days, the service station would have a sample jar of fuel sitting on the pump so you could trust its anti gel level. Now, you can only ask the kid behind the counter.....grrr.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #42  
I haven’t added anything to my diesel fuel before. We all have different definitions of cold. It has been -26* F here already for a couple days and we will go to -40*f or lower multiple times this winter. Last winter was a bit colder than normal and we didn’t get above 0 for about 30 days and above freezing for 65 days. My Kubota doesn’t have a block heater and will start on 3 cycles of the glow plugs down to above -25*F. It is an open cab and blowing snow in -20 in the wind can be chilly and challenging as the controls of the tractor freeze and become very difficult to use…. This year is my first with a cab and block heater to blow snow, so much better! But the loader froze solid from moving last time and had to feel like I was breaking it to get it to move. But only -10*f this morning so the bomb cyclone warmed us up with about 8” of snow.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #43  
Blending with #1 will be shown as a ratio....60/40 is 60% #2 to 40% #1. More #1 will be used as the temps drop. Around here, 50/50 is common in January. For every 10% of #1 used, the cloud point drops 3 deg F.

Then there is fuel treatment which is a chemical anti gel you can add. Those work best when mixed in the fuel when the temps are above 32deg F.

In the old days, the service station would have a sample jar of fuel sitting on the pump so you could trust its anti gel level. Now, you can only ask the kid behind the counter.....grrr.
Thanks, that's helpful. I didn't realize the blends changed throughout the year.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #44  
Whenever I get fuel, no matter what time of year, I always treat it with an anti-gel additive. Not all aditives are anti-gel, so read the label carefully. Since all fuel is always treated, I never have to worry about untreated summer fuel still being in the tractor when it gets cold, or forgetting to add treatment, or all the other ways that I could screw it up. When the delivery truck comes to fill my bulk tank, I dump in the treatment then and there.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #45  
Gelled fuel is my bet. Try adding in a little #1 diesel (kerosene) to thin it down a little bit. I've been worried about that same thing. I bought some #2 diesel at a Mobil station - had 2nd thoughts since it was a fuel stop out in the country not on the beaten path. I bought the diesel before the winter blends are available.

We haven't gotten enough snow for me to need to plow yet since I aint going anywhere anyways in blizzard conditions. But I did move my tractor out of the tractor barn since its VERY windy tractor barn under the forest canopy didn't want to get into trees on the tractor or across the drive. Anywho so I started up the tractor and right away noticed a much stronger smell of diesel / sulfur. I haven't done any pushing yet - doubt I'll need to unless the snow starts piling up but the winds are blowing it away and into the tree line.

I drove the tractor down our driveway 1/2 mile round trip just to be sure it will run ok. No problems but still stronger smell of diesel and maybe a little down on power which makes me worry some. I add in some diesel additive when I filled the tank the last time to be sure I'm not getting any gel situation. I think that diesel is low grade tho.... supposed to be low sulfur but I have my doubts now.

It's back to buying diesel at the AT truck stop along the interstate - at least I know that fuel will be fresh and good quality since itsa truck stop.

Here's a good read on kerosene and diesel mix - yeah diesel will gel in the fuel filter - its cold enough for that to happen this weekend fer sure.

Kerosene vs Winter Fuel Additives – The Fuel Ox

Edit: we are in upstate NY - its freaking arctic conditions. 50mph wind blowing snow temps at -20C and wind chill -50C - yeah even the dogs are NOT good with it.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #46  
   / Tractor Died While Blowing Snow!
Avenger he was just ribbing you a bit.

if you look closely at your tachometer I would bet it is 15 and then there is a
X 100 so 1500 RPM.
15 k is 15000
K is 1000 as a multiplier.
15000 RPM is about what some model airplane 2 stroke glow plug engines run at.
Don't feel bad reminds me of when I posted about welding and used AU as the metal element when I was actually thinking of Aluminum

ps. Speaking of tachs, I cranked up the Rhino to 1900 (PTO RPM) to really move some snow with the new inverted blower, and in this cold it actually Broke the tach needle off inside the meter case. The original cable set up a mean resonance and well I killed my tach.
Yeah, I just got that! I was tired. Thanks for pointing it out. HAHA!!

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #49  
I shouldn't have read this thread yesterday. Right after reading it I went out and started my tractor so I could blow the 7" or 8" of snow we got the night before. All was fine while it was idling and then I pulled the tractor out of the shelter and got about 20' before the problem started. Engine slowed down and revved up and then died. I pulled the water filter and the fuel filter (Spin on) and could see lumps of white stuff in the water separator. Crap! Gelled fuel. I ran into town to see if I could find some Diesel 911 and every place was sold out. I found some stuff called Melt Down that is supposed to do the same thing. I got the tractor started using the procedure on the label and it ran for about 20 minutes then died again. That's when I gave up last night. This morning I pulled the filter and water separator and the separator is full of gelled fuel. Worse than yesterday. I now have tarps and blankets over the hood and 2 electric heaters running under the tractor. The fuel filter and water seperator are in the heated shop to see if the fuel will reliquify. I don't have another filter and everything is closed. I'm going to give it one more try with the Melt Down and if that doesn't work I will have to figure out some way to get the tractor into the shop.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #50  
Save some of that melt down for filling the fuel filter when you put it back on.

Ironically, my younger brother jelled-up on of our ol'mans tractors Thursday. I was thankfull at the time, cause I was busy wrangling out a x-mas tree with the grandson and really did not want to fiddle with something he is toltally capable of doing himself, O'man is out of town for x-mas so guess who gets to fiddle with a jelled up new holland cause it has not quit snowing since....