Tractor decision

/ Tractor decision #161  
No, choose the best dealer. Being close is nice, but a bad dealer who is nearby is useless.
Even a good dealer can be held hostage by parts unavailibility.

/ Tractor decision #162  
How much are people interacting with their dealer? Yeah, I agree the dealer is kinda an insurance policy, but is a last resort. Your gonna order parts/filters online, and do fluid changes, non engine internal repairs yourself. Catastrophic warranty stuff, 100%, but thats hopefully not even an annual thing.

It's not like you shoot your dealer a text on a Friday night, "man I need 5 grams of fluid, meet me at the corner, and I got the cash"

/ Tractor decision #163  
How much are people interacting with their dealer? Yeah, I agree the dealer is kinda an insurance policy, but is a last resort. Your gonna order parts/filters online, and do fluid changes, non engine internal repairs yourself. Catastrophic warranty stuff, 100%, but thats hopefully not even an annual thing.

It's not like you shoot your dealer a text on a Friday night, "man I need 5 grams of fluid, meet me at the corner, and I got the cash"
I buy filters and fluid at the dealer locally. Online costs more after shipping costs are included.

/ Tractor decision #164  
I should note that when I'm talking about dealer network not being as critical as some point out; I'm talking hobby/life style/diy/homeowner machines. In the middle of a critical farm operation, or a paying job, where having the part this afternoon, or your loosing $2500/day (or more) is a totally different story.

Also, I'm Not saying it isn't a plus to have a dealer close; but I wonder what percentage of machines Need to go back to the dealer? I know it's apples vs oranges, but the Last place on earth you would typically take a vehicle is the dealer... (for personal vehicles, I've taken 1 to a dealer in the last 15 years, dodge brake control module, that is programmed by dealer; company vehicles I have taken 2 in for catastrophic engine failures)

As for the maintenance stuff; I think I would prefer to pay shipping then deal with a dealership over fluids, filters, pins, ect. That's not because they are difficult or bad dealers, but I prefer to have it shipped or get pins/fluids, ect from a RK/Autozone/whatever.

Last edited:
   / Tractor decision #165  
Being the typical engineer I researched the heck out of darn near every tractor brand before I bought the XR4155HC. Each one had certain strengths and weaknesses. I graded out all of the models/ brands I researched and in the end LS had the most bang for the buck.

If I weren’t relatively mechanically inclined I likely would have ended up in a Kubota ( because of the service network) or Kioti ( great reputation dealer located in near proximity).

Love my cab (most of the time)- admittedly it can be a bit of a pain if I happen to be on/off repeatedly, in an area of trees that I’ve not limbed sufficiently or am loading pallets ( can be a bit tricky to clearly see the tips of my pallet forks). On balance I prefer my cab for comfort ( and particularly when I run over a nest of bald faced hornets- get a bit of perverse joy watching the mean little ba****** bounce of the glass trying to get at me).

It is nice having pallet forks when you need to load/unload stuff (has allowed me to avoid liftgate up charges on a number of LTL deliveries). I don’t use them as much as my FEL attachments (bucket, grapple) but they are a ‘nice to have’.

Definitely get bigger than what you initially think you’ll need- I was originally looking in the 25hp range and am glad I ended up in the size I did. I probably could have done much of what I have done with the smaller tractor but it would have taken much longer and been much harder on the machine.

My .02- ymmv.

/ Tractor decision #166  
Being the typical engineer I researched the heck out of darn near every tractor brand before I bought the XR4155HC. Each one had certain strengths and weaknesses. I graded out all of the models/ brands I researched and in the end LS had the most bang for the buck.

If I weren’t relatively mechanically inclined I likely would have ended up in a Kubota ( because of the service network) or Kioti ( great reputation dealer located in near proximity).

Love my cab (most of the time)- admittedly it can be a bit of a pain if I happen to be on/off repeatedly, in an area of trees that I’ve not limbed sufficiently or am loading pallets ( can be a bit tricky to clearly see the tips of my pallet forks). On balance I prefer my cab for comfort ( and particularly when I run over a nest of bald faced hornets- get a bit of perverse joy watching the mean little ba****** bounce of the glass trying to get at me).

It is nice having pallet forks when you need to load/unload stuff (has allowed me to avoid liftgate up charges on a number of LTL deliveries). I don’t use them as much as my FEL attachments (bucket, grapple) but they are a ‘nice to have’.

Definitely get bigger than what you initially think you’ll need- I was originally looking in the 25hp range and am glad I ended up in the size I did. I probably could have done much of what I have done with the smaller tractor but it would have taken much longer and been much harder on the machine.

My .02- ymmv.
Good post , you say get bigger and i agree but realistically i think like chainsaws you need 2 tractors , we actually have 3 now but probobly more for redundency, the wife wants me to now get rid of the 35hp kioti however as a small rops tractor its manuverable, fits under trees and with a 4 foot slasher and being able to turn on a dime can get between trees and clean up spots where the 75 and the 100 could only dream of getting. And having a loader bucket on all the time with a rated lifting lug its doubles as virtual powered wheelbarrow and hoist. And can jump on it, do what i want and put it away before i have even got in the cab and glowed the 100! Also does so on the smell of an oiley rag.

/ Tractor decision #167  
Not to continue the cab vs open station debate but I will have a 1400 foot driveway, another 1200 foot gas line right of way, and will be cleaning up an old strip mine road to use as walking path. So I won’t be blazing trails thru the woods with a 50k tractor. I appreciate all the comments and and getting a lot of helpful info here! Happy New Year to you all!
Just about anyone I know who
1. owns woods
and
2. owns a tractor,
Ends up making trails.

It's like an irresistible force.

/ Tractor decision #168  
I do not reccomend a cab, that is what houses are for. You don't need to be in one when your on your tractor.

/ Tractor decision #169  
... Driveway will be maintained only, plow for snow with 3rd function.
Implements: snow plow, grapple, brushhog, box blade, pallet forks, bucket.
Budget about 55k.
Terrain, slight rolling hills, north western Pa climate, occasional big snow accumulations.
Storage for now , garage until outbuilding can be built.
Plow for snow removal driveway(1400 feet).
35-45 hp tractor is probably the sweet spot. Frame size also matters. The best way to experience this is at the John Deere Dealer
3046R - Mid frame - 45.3 hp - 4,008 lbs (cab) - 11.2-24 R1 Rear Tires
4044R
- Large Frame - 43.1 hp - 4,675lbs (cab) - 13.6-28 R1 Rear Tires

You are new to this, so test drive a lot of tractors. You will learn something new each time. Use the John Deere models above as a learning experience. How do you like the size and feel of each tractor and cab? The 3046R has more horsepower, but the 4044R will put a LOT more power to the ground because of its taller tires and extra weight. Either would work well for you (personally, I am a bigger is better guy)

Once you have decided on the frame size you prefer - go do lots more test drives, and you will keep getting a better idea what matters to you.

I prefer R1s (ag tires) for the traction,but R14s seem to be a good option. R4s (industrial tires) look sexy but turn into racing slicks in wet snow and mud.

Make sure you learn the difference between traditional (turnbuckle/fixed ends) 3 point hitches and premium 3 point hitches (telescoping links and extendable ends). They are waaaaay easier to hook up implements. I would never go back to the old way.

Finally, if there is a Kioti Dealer near you, I would give them a look.

Last edited:
   / Tractor decision #170  
I do not reccomend a cab, that is what houses are for. You don't need to be in one when your on your tractor.

This is what I tell myself when I'm clearing snow after dark with an open station tractor; it doesn't keep me warm, but it hides the truth- that'd I'd have to store the cabbed machine outside, and I can't bring myself to do that.