Tractor Brands Market Share

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #141  
When
Can you provide reference for where you found this information?
google search for number of US dealerships of whatever brand you’re interested. Most info is from brand specific press releases or shareholders meetings.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #142  
There are research services manufacturers subscribe to that tally sales and generate reports showing sales by market segment and geographic location.

The reports aren’t free, though.

For titled vehicles, the data is collected by the state for tax and registration purposes, so it’s readily available.

I was peripherally involved in this type of analysis, in the very distant past, (most recently with titled vehicles, but previously with tractors and construction equipment) but don’t remember how they got the non titled data. I know they had it, though. It may have been provided in “blind” form, to some extent, by participating manufacturers. I do remember that we employed research firms, (consultants), or more correctly, marketing employed them, and I have seen the reports, in condensed form, in presentations.

The consultants work with pretty much all products, from cell phones to televisions, to hvac equipment.

It’s market research. Pretty much what a corporate marketing department does.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Brands Market Share #143  
Got a Kubota mailer today and saw these market share claims:

IMG_6148D.jpeg

IMG_6146D.jpeg

Fine print references: https://edadata.com/agriculture/

/ Tractor Brands Market Share
   / Tractor Brands Market Share #145  
Kubota claims to be Nimber 1, but by what measures? Sales volume? Customer satisfaction? Highest R/100 failure rate? Most dissatisfied customers?

Not sure what they’re peddeling without supporting data.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share
Exactly. Branson was the No1 manufacturer for the last two years. In Dealer Satisfaction according to the ADA.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #147  
Exactly. Branson was the No1 manufacturer In Dealer Satisfaction for the last two years according to the ADA.

A regional brand with 1% national market share in the compact tractor market can compete equally or maybe advantageously with brands having a solid national distribution system generating 20% to 50% of compact tractor units, in customer satisfaction surveys.

To make claims for sales leadership, whether leadership in unit volume or dollars a manufacturer needs a national distribution system with dealers everywhere tractors are in demand. Kubota and Deere have outlets in primarily residential markets as well as farming markets. The residential markets are where unit volumes are contributed via subcompact and the lighter compact tractor units.

Where I live in Florida single family residential construction is "hot". The foundation subcontractors, the plumbing subs, some of the roofers, and the landscaper subs arrive at the house site with <3,000 pound bare weight compact loader equipped tractors transported in trailers towed by pickup trucks. More Deeres than Kubotas. An occasional Massey-Ferguson. Most work with with at least one of the following: box blade, backhoe, roto-tiller.

(Then there is the question of how "Deere" lawn and garden tractors, sold at Lowe's and Home Depot, are counted. Deere has nothing to do with the production, Deere just licenses its brand name to a low end assembler. But the brand is "John Deere". Many of my neighbors mow 1/2 to 1 acre lots with these lawn and garden category, <14-horsepower, "John Deeres".)

Last edited:
   / Tractor Brands Market Share #148  
To make claims for sales leadership, whether leadership in unit volume or dollars you need a national distribution system with dealers everywhere tractors are used.
Jeff, didn't you used to be a sales guy? All you need to make a claim is the ability to either be vague or overly narrow in your claim. The ad just says #1. As long as Kubota can slice anything into a #1 claim (since it is not really defined, it could be among Kubota owners). @K5lwq 's point is well taken. Branson has every right to make the same claim as they have a publication to quote. Marketing people and lawyers can make almost anything true. The lesson here is never believe any marketing claim by any manufacturer.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #149  
I have a question for the group:

Please state your reason for wanting to know market share figures?

Could it be for some if not most of you just want to justify your selection? As in to say "I purchased the number one selling brand in market share in America?" Or is there some more sinister underlying reason? :) There that should give some of your something to think about. As for the rest, well what can I say? :)

For me it is simple curiousity. I like lists of data. It helps me see the world more clearly. I would think that goes for most of us here on TBN.
The idea of justifying a purchase or buying decision on some sort of fan popularity would be the last thing I would consider - if I even considered it at all.
I hope you don't mind me saying so, but basing a tractor buying decision on some sort of brand popularity contest seems a weird reason to buy a tractor. I doubt that many people think that way.
rScotty

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #150  
I think the issue of market share has less to do with who's at the top than who's at the bottom. It matters who doesn't have enough sales volume to remain in business, parts availability, etc. It gives an indication of who's at risk of being an orphan tractor.