Towing Mishap

/ Towing Mishap #1  

potomska

I was towing my B2601 tractor on a new equipment trailer, returning from the dealership that installed a subframe and BH70. I was on a six lane highway, in the right lane along with other cars approaching a downhill exit onto another highway. We all moved into the exit lane, slowing to 25mph and maintaining distance from the cars ahead, as I reached the apex of the hill and the ramp ahead was full, the car 3 car lengths ahead of me stopped, and an out-of-state car moved across and into the rapidly closing space ahead of me. And stopped.

I could not stop my truck (tacoma v6) in the space and time available. The trailer brakes (tekonsha prodigyp2 boosted to 3) worked fine. The truck antilock brakes kicked in, and the truck rolled into the car at 4 or 5 mph. Front of the truck was crumpled to the doors; tractor and trailer had no damage. I was given a warning for following too close. Waiting to hear from insurance.

My first accident in 53 years of driving. I suppose that I could have pulled on the emergency brake, but I didn’t think of it. I wish that I had taken more photos, and the next truck may get a dash cam. What else could I have done?

Attachments

• IMG_1327.jpeg
    IMG_1327.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
   / Towing Mishap #2  
ANY TIME you are hauling a heavy load, your window of following distance needs to be widened by a great deal.. Sounds to me that you didn't leave enough space (even considering the out of state driver cutting in)...

/ Towing Mishap #4  
So sorry to hear this. Unfortunately there is no exception for idiot 4 wheelers when you are towing a load. GL with the insurance etc.

When hauling horses I always kept one hand near the brake actuator for panic stops.

/ Towing Mishap #6  
I was towing my B2601 tractor on a new equipment trailer, returning from the dealership that installed a subframe and BH70. I was on a six lane highway, in the right lane along with other cars approaching a downhill exit onto another highway. We all moved into the exit lane, slowing to 25mph and maintaining distance from the cars ahead, as I reached the apex of the hill and the ramp ahead was full, the car 3 car lengths ahead of me stopped, and an out-of-state car moved across a solid line and into the rapidly closing space ahead of me. And stopped.

I could not stop my truck (tacoma v6) in the space and time available. The trailer brakes (tekonsha prodigyp2 boosted to 3) worked fine. The truck antilock brakes kicked in, and the truck rolled into the car at 4 or 5 mph. Front of the truck was crumpled to the doors; tractor and trailer had no damage. I was given a warning for following too close. Waiting to hear from insurance.

My first accident in 53 years of driving. I suppose that I could have pulled on the emergency brake, but I didn’t think of it. I wish that I had taken more photos, and the next truck may get a dash cam. What else could I have done?
Sorry to hear of your dilemma. At least no one got hurt.

Having driven thousands of miles on Chicago and Indianapolis freeways/toll roads myself, there're no winners when someone cuts into your lane and slams on the brakes. Yes, get a dash camera. I'm looking at them as well. Just too many times of close calls, and its a better witness than you or me.

It doesn't matter what you do, if you leave space in front of you someone else will take it, which immediately puts you in the situation of not having enough space to stop with little time to correct it. There's no planning for that other than staying off the roads.

/ Towing Mishap #8  
Ouch, activating the trailer breaks may have made the difference. That's a big load for a Tacoma to stop, it doesn't have the brakes for really trying to stop a load.

/ Towing Mishap #10  
I was towing my B2601 tractor on a new equipment trailer, returning from the dealership that installed a subframe and BH70.

How heavy of a trailer were you using?

The B2601 is rated at a little under a ton. Add a bucket and backhoe and it will push it a little over a ton, but it shouldn't really need anything more than a little utility flatbed.

Trailer brakes may need adjusting for towing empty, as well as towing loaded.

Nothing beats a little vehicle weight when towing, although one also has to consider fuel efficiency in the modern world. The Tacoma V6 is supposed to be about 4,000 lbs to 4,500 lbs. The RAM 3.6 is supposed to be 500 to 1000 lbs heavier.

I generally like to give myself a little extra space when towing, as well as slowing on descents.

Pulling your E-Brake could throw you into a spin, and may be worse than relying on the ABS.

Oh, also look at the trailer balance. If you've added more rear end weight, you may have less tongue weight than expected. A little extra tongue weight may help with vehicle brakes. I tend to like my equalizer bars for most towing.