Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902

/ Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902
My dad had a neighbor with a very steep area to mow. He invited dealers to come and demo products and at least one crashed. He ended up with a commercial Cub Cadet ZTR that had a steering wheel that also controls the front wheels. He loved it!
Not available until next April, per Cub Cadet

/ Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902 #52  
I would absolutely love to have one. They look incredible. If they had a dealer network where I could get it serviced, I would already have one. I sure looks like quite the piece of equipment for owners who want to do their own repair work. I may yet pay them a visit, since their factory is only 90 miles from my land.
Many folks here on TBN have dealers farther than 90 miles.

Mine’s 534 miles away. ;)

OP,

What’s your budget? ;)

As others have mentioned, if you’re concerned about slopes, take a look at PowerTrac as you also look at other machines, just to get an idea of what they offer. They make several different sizes of machines, and two slope mowers that are rated at 40 and 45 degrees (45 degrees = 100% slope!).

The nice thing about the PowerTrac design is that not only is it a mower, but it is a front end loader/tool carrier. Everything is mounted out front where you can see it. They have a great quick attach system that allows you to swap non-powered implements in 15 seconds without getting off the seat. Powered implements requires the operator to get off the seat and change a few hydraulic hoses, so that adds a few seconds. All powered implements are powered by hydraulics, not PTO shafts.

There are over 40 attachments available, from mower, brush cutters, stump grinders, snow removal equipment, several buckets, grapples, 4-in-1 buckets, brooms, forks, etc.

Anyhow, if you want a multi-purpose machine, I think the PT design is better than the Ventrac design. I think the Ventrac is a better mower, but the PT is a better all around machine, especially with the forks and bucket choices. Ventrac loaders (on select models) are kinda an afterthought.

The Toolcats are pretty sweet as well. CAB!
Compact telehandlers, too.

Anyhow, come up with a task list, find what machines would do those tasks well, and then try and correlate the right machine(s) with your budget.

I actually drove to the PT factory/showroom site today. PowerTrac will be what I go with. So much good to say about that machine, and the people there. This being a ToolCat forum, I will move the discussion to the PowerTrac board. THANK YOU for your recommendation. I had no idea this machine existed, until you mentioned it.

/ Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902 #54  
That's great you went to see them in person. Give us updates and of course pictures! (y)

That's great you went to see them in person. Give us updates and of course pictures! (y)

Since I started the thread here, I will finish it up by describing my visit. They asked me not to take pictures in their showroom. The Internet is forever, and they are concerned a potential customer views a piece of machinery that they have updated. That said, it was a VERY impressive showroom!

They had all but one, I think, of their entire product line on display, and all their attachments for the machines. Not just sitting lined up on the floor, either. For instance, they had one of their slope mowers that will handle 45 degree slopes, sitting on a 45 degree sloped display! Looked weird with the self levelling seat. I knew immediately that although the machine would handle the slope, that I lacked the cojones to ride it on that hill.

Other displays had their "trailer package" set up. They build a steel trailer specifically to hold whatever machine you purchase, and all the attachments. I was told it was very popular with landscape crews that needed fast access to all their implements on the job. It had built in tool boxes, and a receiver plate welded in where the operator drives on the trailer, slides the front plate that you attach the implement to up into that receiver and lock the machine into place without tiedowns. I had them quote a trailer for the $40k package I am looking at, but at $11.5k, I have to pass. I can buy a trailer to haul it for $5k elsewhere.

My biggest concern was that I didn't want to have to work on my own equipment, being older, and having surgically replaced knees, etc. But my test ride out in the yard, with their service manager Terry, eliminated all that! He showed me how the equipment was designed for easy maintenance. Six Zerc grease job, only have to bend over for one of them, all filters accessible from a standing position. This machine is brain dead simple (good simple). As a life long auto tech and shop owner, I could see how this machine was very well designed and engineered for simplicity. They "had" me when I realized there were no chips or electronics whatsoever on this machine, the PT-1430.

One BIG thing they have not updated on their website is the fact that for the unit I am looking at, they have moved from diesel to a 30hp (Correction: 37 HP, 999cc) Kohler gasoline power plant. Carbureted, not fuel injected. I haven't researched that particular Kohler engine, but I have been told that the Kawasaki engines are the gold standard. I have a Kawa on my ZTR mower, and it is awesome.

They dropped the price about $3k , when they eliminated the diesel option. They told me that it was a move on their part to get past the 25hp limit on diesel machines, and they have been doing it for about a year. If I wanted the diesel, the next option up is the model they hang backhoes on, and they don't recommend use as a mower since it sits much higher.

Gotta run, a call from my shop tells me 3 members of my leadership team have tested positive for Covid. Jeez.

Last edited: