Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902

/ Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902 #31  
That is definitely something to think about. Some folks can’t repair their own equipment. Some folks can, but don’t want to. Some folks want to, but don’t know how (yet). And some folks enjoy working on their own stuff (like me). I will say that in the 21 years I’ve owned mine, the few times I needed something, PT has excellent phone support and ships parts fast.

/ Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902 #32  
...I have a quote from Kubota for an L3902... ...I am concerned the Kubota may have too high a center of gravity to do what I need, even w/4WD...

I'm in hill country, and Kubota is a high-quality, very well-engineered machine that will give excellent service under many conditions. They also tend to be rather light weight on the bottom, which is great if you're trailering it in a landscaping business, but not so good for traversing hills. Around me they're regarded as rollover-prone. I would be wary of Kubota for the application you describe.

/ Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902 #33  
I have a zero turn that has a steering wheel and I use it on steep slopes. With both rear wheels powered it has very good traction and ridiculous manuverability. The one I have is a Cub Cadet. If I had large acreage to mow and steep slopes I'd use a use a larger mower deck and a lower center of gravity and I wouldn't mow the slopes if there was dew on it.

/ Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902 #34  
I am older, think Medicare age, with ZERO experience with tractors or landscape equipment. I have a 50 acre property in the Va. hills that I started mowing 8-9 acres on. A lot of it is flat, but there are several acres with a 20 degree-ish slope on it. I have a quote from Kubota for an L3902. I am visiting the Ventrac dealer next week. I thought I would also look into a Toolcat, though I think it may be too pricey for my blood.

I have mowed most of it with a small Gravely ZTR, but I was VERY uncomfortable on the hills. ALMOST had a serious accident, but I got very LUCKY and didn't get hurt. I want my butt as close to Mother Earth as it can be, and I am concerned the Kubota may have too high a center of gravity to do what I need, even w/4WD. I love a lot of what the Ventrac can do, and I would never have to worry about what I could mow, but I can't get satisfied with no PTO or rear functionality at all.

So I called my buddy in Kentucky who runs a grading/landscape mulching/backhoe business, and I asked him if he could only have ONE piece of equipment to maintain my property he told me "A ToolCat, but I have never operated a Ventrac." So here I am digging in the Toolcat forum. But I am not finding much info about mowing on hills.

Last thing, I have seen my neighbors bush hog the property, and also cut and bale hay (small round bales) with 2WD tractors, but they were raised up mowing in the mountains. I cringed just watching them. But it can be done. My wife thinks I am nuts, and I'm gonna kill myself, but my most satisfied moments in life these days are spent messing around on that land. I should have done this 20 years ago.

I am thinking a Toolcat is super heavy, and can crabwalk, so it should be fine on my hills. But I have thought a lot of things in my life that turned out to be dead wrong. "People will never buy water sold in plastic bottles" wrong. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts!
Ventrac, but not Kubota or Toolcat.

/ Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902 #35  
Not sure how long the slopes are you need to cut, but have you considered an offset mower? lets you reach down a bank without getting to close.

product-image-flail-mowers.jpg

/ Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902
That won't fit my application. I have long runs of 100 ft plus hill section. But Thanks for the suggestion

/ Total noob. Mowing with Toolcat on a hill vs Ventrac vs Kubota L3902 #37  
... I was VERY uncomfortable on the hills.
This is an issue that can only be solved by either experience or something with a suspension.

Any tractor is going to feel odd and "tippy" to someone that's used to the compensation a suspension system provides. It's the nature of the beast and the only way to get used to it is through experience. Tipping a tractor is not good experience, so knowing the point of no return and having an inclinometer to let you know if you're approaching the danger zone will help boost confidence.

Or... stick with the Toolcat. It may be everything you need and not give you that sinking feeling in your gut as you mow on an incline.

I have a zero turn that has a steering wheel and I use it on steep slopes. With both rear wheels powered it has very good traction and ridiculous manuverability. The one I have is a Cub Cadet. If I had large acreage to mow and steep slopes I'd use a use a larger mower deck and a lower center of gravity and I wouldn't mow the slopes if there was dew on it.
I have seen that Cub Cadet with the steering system for the front wheels on the ZTR, and I was really thinking that might be the ticket. But looking deeper, the next availability is April 2023, per Cub Cadet.

I'm in hill country, and Kubota is a high-quality, very well-engineered machine that will give excellent service under many conditions. They also tend to be rather light weight on the bottom, which is great if you're trailering it in a landscaping business, but not so good for traversing hills. Around me they're regarded as rollover-prone. I would be wary of Kubota for the application you describe.
I have come to the same conclusion. I think the situation may call for 2 different pieces of equipment, one for safe mowing, and one for tractor stuff. Now, that's just a crying shame, huh?(NOT!!):ROFLMAO: