Tornado Shelter

/ Tornado Shelter #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hi All,

I've been living in a manufactured home for over ten years now. We have no basement and no safe place to take shelter during a storm here in central Illinois. I want to build a cheap effective tornado shelter. I have a bunch of large fence posts left over from a fence project along with a tractor and post hole digger. I'm thinking about sinking a bunch of fence posts in the ground and making a small building out of them and then burying the whole thing. I need to figure out how to keep water out and vent it. Do you think my idea could work?

Kevin

/ Tornado Shelter #2  
I'd do an internet search on "Bomb Shelters" (a popular thing in the 1950's) and see what those designs look like.

/ Tornado Shelter #4  
Would a septic tank work? They are common and probably not very expensive.

/ Tornado Shelter #5  
Here's a link to FEMA's plans for building storm shelters to give you a few ideas. FEMA: Taking Shelter From the Storm

:thumbsup: FEMA has some good information.

Jobguy is on the right path with septic tanks. Some septic tank builders also make storm shelters. Not much different except they make it easier to get into and out of the shelter aka the tank.

Building a wood structure underground is not something I would do lightly. I have thought about it though for a storm shelter as well as a place to ferment beer. :D

The Southern Forest Products Association has a PDF about building permanent wood foundations which is sort what you are trying to do with the exception of covering the structure with dirt. Publications :: Southern Pine. The document is at the bottom of the page in the right column.

I have sketched out a design to build a green house with a basement. The basement being designed from the previous link. The basement was for a storm shelter as well as a beer cave. Since I did not like the idea of putting dirt on top of the shelter the idea of just putting a green house up there seemed like a better idea.

Later,
Dan

/ Tornado Shelter #6  
Do you own the land and plan on keeping it? If you do I would consider an above ground solid wall and roofed concrete structure with a steel man door near the entry door of the mobile home.
You could make it look like a garden shed with nice siding for the ascetics of it. This would be something with an easy access door. Sort of like a safe house FEMA has designs for. Sometimes with tornadoes, they only give you just seconds to get into something quick and comfortable and if the small room would have good footers, the wind isn't going to knock it down. But, don't quote me on that.
Many years ago I had an underground wooded room for that purpose and never used it. Mine was so humid and was difficult to get in. Underground things would work but I question how quick a couple could get in it when under pressure, without falling down.

/ Tornado Shelter #7  
Adding to this thread, but not about the shelter, is the importance of a good weather radio.
I have two, actually...this one:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-CL-100-Public-Certified-Weather/dp/B003QHXZM4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1327684034&sr=8-7]Amazon.com: Sangean CL-100 Table Top Public Alert Certified S.A.M.E. Weather Hazard Alert Radio: Electronics[/ame]
and a portable that goes into the basement with us.

The warning signal on the Sangeon will wake anyone from a sound sleep. Pretty decent radio for listening to the news and music too, BTW.

/ Tornado Shelter #8  
Many years ago I had an underground wooded room for that purpose and never used it. Mine was so humid and was difficult to get in. Underground things would work but I question how quick a couple could get in it when under pressure, without falling down.

In my case access would be through a regular door. With the slope of our land, and the spoil dirt, we would have a door to walk into not a hole to climb down.

Your point is well taken though. Some of the septic tank storm shelters had little access holes, not doors. Others had doors for easier access. Having to climb down through a hole would be problematic in the dark with a few people and the family pets.

My other concern is once you are in, can you get out again after the storm has passed? Doors should open IN not out. I would want two ways out of an underground shelter.

Later,
Dan

/ Tornado Shelter #9  
If you would care to find another use for the posts, a length (6 or 7 ft. possibly) of culvert pipe ( galvanized steel or plastic ) may fit the budget. About 4 ft. in diameter buried vertical, set in concrete would be relatively inexpensive. Steel covers are available as these are known as valve cans in the pipeline world. A simple ladder can be constructed for entering and egress.
When the concrete floor is poured set eye bolt anchoring hardware to secure the lid. These shelters don't need to be large since we're usually speaking of minutes rather than hours that it takes for a tornado to blow material things all to H**l.

As for being trapped in the shelter, don't worry about that. Disaster people, news media, neighbors, law enforcement and family will soon be there.

/ Tornado Shelter #10  
If you stacked Lego's as a kid and you are decent with your DIY skills, you can do an ICF shelter, as seen here:

http://icfresource.com/saferooms.html

They can withstand 250MPH winds and impact from debris. It's basically a steel-reinforced 6" concrete bunker.

If a top rated F5 hits (260MPH-300MPH), then you will do better with an UNDERGROUND shelter. I would be confident that the above ground shelter can take a hit by a F5 but you better be sure that you anchored those walls properly and the footings are deep.