Ballast Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23

/ Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23 #11  
Gotta say YES to the toothbar. Invaluable tool for uprooting and digging with the fel. I also went with unfilled tires. I have had two flats already and they took about 2-3 minutes to plug. If the tires were filled it may not be that easy ( depending on what they are filled with). I find that the backhoe or boxblade are ample ballast for a full bucket. Enjoy your new machine!

/ Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23 #12  
I'm a little leary of filling tires anymore. I had calcium chloride in the 38" rear tires on my old John Deere "A" (pardon my french on this Kubota forum, ha, ha) and I firmly believe it caused the wheels to rust out. I know, I know, it's sealed inside the inner tube, BUT...it causes condensation due to the different heating and cooling rates of the liquid and the air in the part of the tire that isn't filled. You can actually see the line of the top of the calcium chloride when weather conditions are right.

As a result, I am looking for wheels right now. Rusted completely through. (Before I hear it about rust, ha, ha, this is a 56 year old tractor.)

I went with the bolt on wheel weights on my 2230. Plus, I'm trying to eat more junk food.

/ Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23 #13  
Jim,

I had the tires on my BX22 foam filled as I have locust trees around. It wasn't cheap but in my situation to be free from flat tires it was well worth the expense.

Dave...

/ Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23 #14  
The ballast used today, is as different today as your 56 year old tractor is from todays tractors. Rim Guard or its common name, Beet Juice, it perfectly safe for rims and doesn't cause rust problems. It is also environmentally friendly which the old calcium chloride wasn't. Times change and we have to change with them or be left behind. 56 years ago, I wrote with a fountain pen, today, I write with a keyboard connected to a computer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23 #15  
Tooth bar is a must. As for filling rear tires, my bx1500 came filled with windshield washer fluid, the non freese type. The sales person said"they don't use anything but because it does not rust or freese also very cheap to refill".

/ Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23 #16  
TOOTHBAR? PRICELESS! very good to have , even if you don't use it much, but when u need it a great tool to have. as far a loading the tires, i prefer not to, if u do the weight is always there, but as many things this is strickly a personal matter.

/ Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23 #17  
I just got a tooth bar works great. Larry

/ Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23 #18  
Would like a toothbar - I'm sure I could use one. But don't have one and can't afford one now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif...

I would, however, strongly recommend loading your tires if you deal with slopes. On flat ground it probably isn't as much of an issue but on slopes you need as much weight as possible down low as you can get, IMHO. Wheel weights are a good option - maybe better than loading the tires, but in my case I can get away with water in tubes (no freezing here), so that is a cheap option for me and I do it myself.

My next set of tires (which I'm going to have to do up front pretty soon) I will have foam filled. No flats, extra weight - perfect for me.

Good luck on your new purchase - you'll be glad you got a tractor. It was one of the first things I did when I bought my place and I don't know how I would have kept this place up without it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23 #19  
Here's one more vote for the tooth bar. your would be surpprized what else they are good for. grooving the ice at the end of your driveway, picking up logs, holding more leaves and trash in the bucket, not to menchen digging and loader work /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Toothbar? on FEL and filling tires on a BX23 #20  
Jim,

In case you haven't decided yet, here is a photo of some excavation work I did a few weeks ago at my lake property to dig up my septic outlet to the distribution box. It was accomplished with my BX and toothbar. A backhoe would have been nicer, but I don't have that luxury /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so toothbar it is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Only problem with doing it this way is you have to take 4' wide and also dig a ramp in so you end up excavating more than you would with a backhoe. In any event it sure was better than doing it all by shovel! As it was there was plenty of shovel work and the wife helped for a bit and threw her back out. She's just finally getting back to normal and this was 3 weeks ago.

My soil there is mostly clay but the top was hauled in dirt/gravel a couple of years ago when I had the septic put in so it was hard to get started in but then went better as I went.

The picture isn't very good as my father took them and printed them out on photo paper and deleted the files before I told him I wanted them. So I had to scan them back in so I have a digital copy as well for long term archival.

Toothbars sure do rule for us "poor" no backhoe usin kinda guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope you enjoy as much as I do.

Attachments

• 452772-Dist Box Overview 2 (600 x 415).jpg
    452772-Dist Box Overview 2 (600 x 415).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 198