Took the plunge -- and dove deep

/ Took the plunge -- and dove deep #1  

huckflynn

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
After many weeks of information gathering and price shopping I was hung up between a JD 425 and a Toro 5xi to handle my 5.25 hilly acres and 420' sloping driveway (wanted a 2 stage snow blower and a 50" to 60" mowing deck).

To help me decide I posted a message seeking opinions at gardenweb.com. The JD425/Toro options soon faded in favor of the Simplicity Legacy or, for just a thousand more, the Kubota BX2200. Believe it or not, I had never heard of Kubota. I'm a computer programmer, who, until a couple of months ago, lived on a small city lot.

I finally decided on a Kubota BX2200 with a 60" deck and a 50" snow blower. It would be a few weeks before the dealer could deliver. In the meantime, this guy named Roy invited me to visit this little forum over here. Good idea. Read about the fuel tank problem and the 3 pt hitch problem -- making sure they are not problems before I take delivery.

I also started reading about other stuff. I was already in deeper than I had planned -- but what the heck, the Tim Allen side of me kept saying "front end loader -- oh yeah -- let's move something!" I found all the justification I needed in this little place -- so I called the dealer back and had him add the "FEL" (hey I catch on fast!)

I've been coding computers for over 20 years -- way too long in the virtual world. It's time to get my hands dirty in the real deal.

I may need some help. Looks like I'm in the right place.

Huck

/ Took the plunge -- and dove deep #2  
Huck,
This is only the start of fun for you in mother earth sand box,and as time goes on you will wonder why you didn't do this before./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Yes one can learn a lot from this website as I have,and the people here are truly delightful so thats why I park my coffee cup here./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

So please do ask questions and keep us all inform of any new information.

Take care and enjoy the first /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif day of autumn.

Thomas..NH

/ Took the plunge -- and dove deep #3  
Huck -

There seems to be a number of us computer geek types on this board, so I'm starting to think it's some form of natural evolution. Maybe after 2 or 3 decades of living in a virtual world our bodies just start to crave the real thing, and what better way to get back to the soil than with a tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig3.gif

/ Took the plunge -- and dove deep
I don't know about better ways to go back to the soil -- but I can tell you this, Harv --- there are certainly worse ways!!!

Huck

/ Took the plunge -- and dove deep #5  
Harv,
I was wondering the price tag on your L2500.
My Kubota dearler has a L2550DT w/ a FEL and front wheel weights also 2,173 hours 1986 asking $13,900.oo,and believe me that tractor needs some TLC./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
Between us there over 3,000 miles and I hope the price was cheaper for you. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Try and get a good night sleep and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Took the plunge -- and dove deep #6  
A great decision. Welcome to the "real" tractor owners club.

/ Took the plunge -- and dove deep #7  
You made a wise choice, I bought a BX1800 and have 40+ hours now, so far I've been happy as a clam. My other tractor is a Ariens GT17 with a 60" mower, I would rather use the Kubota instead.

/ Took the plunge -- and dove deep #8  
Huck; Welcome to the board, and to the joys of BX'ing. Glad you got my message. You'll find these guys are very knowledgeable, and a lot more friendly than some of the posters over at that other L&G place. Another great thing about this site is it has Muhammad, best admin in cyberspace! Started programming myself in '76, also born in raised in the city.

-Roy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by roy on 9/23/00 07:40 AM.</FONT></P>

/ Took the plunge -- and dove deep #9  
Well Huck, I'm glad to hear that what you read here helped you make a better decision! Welcome to the forum, and be sure to launch all the questions you have our way... plenty of BX owners here to answer them, plus plenty of folks to answer any other questions just about tractors and using them…

Regards -

msig.gif

/ Took the plunge -- and dove deep #10  
Thomas -

I musta missed your post earlier asking about the price of my tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

We're talking about an L2500DT, 187 hours, R1 tires (filled) plus a brand new Kubota loader (dang, I forget the model number), plus full warranty, tax and shipping = $14,125.

If that's not a good deal, please don't tell me right away. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig3.gif