TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,901  
410 Shot: I still like it for squirrels and snakes, but its hard to find ammo, it's expensive, and in the end, a 12/20 will do anything a 410 does for cheaper

Note: even with those; I still want a 28ga O/U, a 360 Buckhammer, a 22 Hornet, ect. It's a love/hate of the weird stufd....
Wife's go to gun for many years, and still occasionally was a .410 Contender. She could take out a snake from a distance that She was comfortable. (and that isn't very close!)
Found a box of .22 Hornet at a gunshop in TN back when .22LR was hard to find. There was a note on the box saying "22 Hornet is not .22LR"! I told the clerk I would purchase that box if I could have the note with it!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,902  
I think ammo companies have done 410 a disservice by loading a lot of 1/2 oz of #8. If you can get 11/16 oz, #6, that's an entirely different effect down range. We are pretty much always gonna have a full choke in any 410, and with a heavy load of #6, 35 yards on squirrels/rabbits/ect is gonna be fine.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,903  
I love my 410's, I have two double barrels and an old Savage 24 my 22/410 dad gave me for my first firearm. I also have a 28 ga. Remington 11-48 that is real fun to shoot clays' with. I do wish the ammo was more abundant and try to stock up anytime I find some, especially since my wife has a REAL fondness for using my old Savage.

For a 410 I prefer the #6 over #8's.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,904  
The 6.5 CM is a great round but it offers essentially nothing new.
Ballistically, you're correct, they're only incrementally different. The difference is it's chambered in a short action, versus a long action. Part of the reason I prefer my .260rem. I shoot 120gr bullets, it's a short action (MRC 1999 SA), so the rifle is lighter and bolt throw shorter and the rifle actually holds 5+1 rounds.

It's like most things, there might be incremental advantages that tip the hand to that round for a person's intended purpose, or just "because". Heck, I guess I own lots of things just because.

Ironically, my 6.5CM is a Tikka T3X, and Tikka only makes one length action, and makes a bolt stop for the shorter cartridges. ;) This might be part of the reason that bolt is so smooth and relatively wobble free.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,905  
So, this will vary state to state, and nir asking for legal advise... I've never private party sold a gun to a stranger. Son is trying to trade his truck and 2 guns to somebody for a mustang and about a tank of gas in cash. In FLa, we can do private party sales. I told him, get a picture of their DL, or better yet a CC or Hunting License, just to keep on file.

What info do yall NON-FFLs gather for a sale/trade/transaction?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,906  
I would get a bill of sale specifically listing the model and serial numbers any firearms involved, along with DL, and Concealed Weapons Permit. Make sure the signature on the Bill Of Sale matches how he signs his Drivers license! Without a CWP, your not going to know if he is a convicted felon, child molester or has had his right to own a firearm removed. Without a CWP, I would be hestitant...
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,907  
Ballistically, you're correct, they're only incrementally different. The difference is it's chambered in a short action, versus a long action. Part of the reason I prefer my .260rem. I shoot 120gr bullets, it's a short action (MRC 1999 SA), so the rifle is lighter and bolt throw shorter and the rifle actually holds 5+1 rounds.

It's like most things, there might be incremental advantages that tip the hand to that round for a person's intended purpose, or just "because". Heck, I guess I own lots of things just because.

Ironically, my 6.5CM is a Tikka T3X, and Tikka only makes one length action, and makes a bolt stop for the shorter cartridges. ;) This might be part of the reason that bolt is so smooth and relatively wobble free.
My 6.5 CM is also a Tikka T3x and is a replacement for my M70 in 3006, it will do everything my '06 will do without all the punishment on my shoulder. And yes, smoothest bolt I have ever worked.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,908  
If you want to get serious, every full power, non magnum since 1893 has been a unneeded extra. The 7x57 Mauser is the grandaddy of them all, and out to 300 yards, it's hard to think of anything beyond Marginal gains. Sure, we got 200 fps with the 30-06 with similar weight bullets; or a couple inches of drop at 300 yards from a Creed, or 6mm of shorter case length with a 308; heck even the 7mm Rem Mag is only 300 fps faster with 165s. Doesn't mean we should have stopped developing. Basically we are talking about less than 10% gains in velocity or drop or recoil. Doesn't mean we should only see 7mm Mauser rifles and ammo on the shelf.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,909  
So, this will vary state to state, and nir asking for legal advise... I've never private party sold a gun to a stranger. Son is trying to trade his truck and 2 guns to somebody for a mustang and about a tank of gas in cash. In FLa, we can do private party sales. I told him, get a picture of their DL, or better yet a CC or Hunting License, just to keep on file.

It will vary from state to state, and there are some new laws that came into effect not long ago that require all transfers to be done with a 4473.

I would really check up on that as to not run a fowl.

I am really not up on all this as I usually mess with old stuff that falls under my 03FFL.

Really good to check yourself.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,910  

I have only lived in states that have not required private party sales to do anything to document the sale. That being said, I almost never buy a firearm from another individual. It's just never really worked out that way for me, at least not very often. Same goes with selling. I've only ever sold guns to a private person a few times in my life.

All that being said, from the "other side of the coin" (as the "buyer" in this hypothetical transaction), there is NO WAY in h*ll I'm giving that kind of information about myself, to some private person that I don't know, and have never met before. It's not going to happen. If that means "no sale", then kick rocks and hit the street. If it's something that I just couldn't live without (extremely unlikely, especially as I get older), then it's either "no personal info", or we go to an FFL and do a transfer across his books. And the seller is going to pay any and all fees, since they're the ones insisting on "paperwork".

At least with an FFL, if someone employed there uses or tries to use my personal information (like say to take out loans in my name, etc), I have a legal route to pursue the business of the FFL.