TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,881  
I haven't figured out a reason to buy a 300 BO, as it doesn't seem to do anything better than what I already have. I also don't understand why people want "reduced loads". Seems like if I shoot something, I really want to do as much damage to it as possible, not worry about if I have enough power to stop what I am shooting at!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,882  
I haven't figured out a reason to buy a 300 BO, as it doesn't seem to do anything better than what I already have. I also don't understand why people want "reduced loads". Seems like if I shoot something, I really want to do as much damage to it as possible, not worry about if I have enough power to stop what I am shooting at!
David from jax
In my case, as many others, to keep it subsonic for use with a silencer

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,883  
All is not lost or wasted.

Attachments

• BO-Hammr.jpg
    BO-Hammr.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 31
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,884  
David from jax
The catch 22 with using a suppressor is how quiet you want the shot to be at the shooters ear.

Generally the threshold for "loudness" using a suppressor is subsonic or supersonic speed of the bullet that will or will not create a sonic crack.

You use the reduce loads for subsonic performance.

For military applications I'm guessing it can be worthwhile. For hunting 4 legged animals the noise difference between supersonic vs subsonic ballistically really isn't there for terminal performance on 4 legged animals.

Shooting my 300 win mag with a heavier but slower bullet supersonic basically makes it sound like shooting a Ruger 10/22 using supersonic .22LR ammo. Kind of why I gave up on the .300 BO sub sonic myself.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,885  
I also don't understand why people want "reduced loads".
To enjoy the firearm for other uses NOT necessarily related to taking game. Paper, cans, gum balls don't require full house loads, plus the more you shoot and use your firearm the more attuned to the way it handles you become. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,886  
So, I guess I'll comment on why I build a 300Blk and want the reason was, as well as the result;
1) all the cool guys are doing it :)
2) I wanted something that was as quiet as possible
3) cheap, my plan was 10-12 grs od powder, cast bullets, and cut down 223 brass, for $0.15/ea fun
4) cheap supers too, plan was 160gr 310s sized to 309,
5) the gun is dirt cheap; think I splurged on a Faxon barrel, but I could have went as low as like $69 for a BCA 16" barrel

Now, the reality of my experience;
Making brass isn't 'bad', but it's not a lot of fun, and I'm not gonna sit down and run 500 pieces
It's very picky, powder, OAL, projectile sizing,
Casting and powder coating isn't that bad, but its slow with a single or double cavity mold, and powder coating... Also, you buy a $40 mold, and don't like it, it's back to the Midway order form to try another mold. Frankly, sometimes a box of factory bullets is less trouble...

Powder coating in a high humidity environment doesn't work with the dry method. The wet method works, but is messy, sticky, and inconsistent; I get some with little coverage, others with dang chunks of PC, and a lot stick together.

Supersonic 300Blk from an AR is as loud (to me) as full power 308 in a 18" bolt gun. (speaking suppressed on both).

And if anyone hasn't experienced it; Yes, suppressed 300blk Subs are really that quiet.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,887  
Oh, on reduced loads; I know it's impractical, but 55gr SP subsonic out of a 22" bolt gun, suppressed, is kinda fun to try. Yes, I'm 100% aware I'm duplicating 22LR at 5x the cost, and I don't load up 100s; but it's a fun experiment.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,888  
Supersonic 300Blk from an AR is as loud (to me) as full power 308 in a 18" bolt gun.
Honestly, shooting from my "AR style" rifle, the .300 BO is pretty quiet, kind of like a nail gun.

However, hearing how loud a round using a suppressor can be very subjective to the shooter, even when using a decible meter.

Perhaps it would make a great defensive home rifle, but you'd definitely be dealing with a SBR barrel length.

For myself, it just became a novelty round where I decided pretty quick I didn't want to hunt with it. I REALLY tied to like the round, but after a year, gave up on it.

End of the day, for being quiet, the one factor you can't overcome is the sound barrier. Push a bullet too fast, and you get the sonic crack. Even with the venerable .45-70, you're still breaking the sound barrier with big and slow.

I will however be keeping my eye on this gun from Ruger. The .45 ACP IMO is the perfect round for using a can because it "naturally" won't break the sound barrier. Perfect round for shooting "full load" with a can. I've learned from my ranch rifle though. I can wait another couple of years to see what people think of it...

Don't get me wrong, won't hunt with it, but it sure might be a hoot to shoot!
Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 7.39.06 PM.png

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,889  
Yup, .300BO was a cartridge I should have skipped, as well as the .17HMR.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,890  
Yup, .300BO was a cartridge I should have skipped, as well as the .17HMR.
I was pretty tempted by 17HMR, but held out for a 22WMR that I wanted. It had to be RF for WMA regs for small game. Kinda wanted a 17WSM, but talked my self out of it. I do like the 22Mag, But it costs more to shoot than a 223, with 1/5 the power.