TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,561  
More of a strawberry preserves guy, as well as H4895 and HP-38.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,562  
I've got the "I wants" and a Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 has been calling my name for a long time. I've been trying to resist, but I know I'll give in when I find one at the right price.

Willpower is so overrated.:D

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,563  
I've got the "I wants" and a Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 has been calling my name for a long time. I've been trying to resist, but I know I'll give in when I find one at the right price.

I wouldn't mind finding another 45/70 barrel for my contenders, 45/70 and my shoulder don't get along!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,564  
I wouldn't mind finding another 45/70 barrel for my contenders, 45/70 and my shoulder don't get along!
So, I've never shot a 45-70; and I always assumed it was pretty brutal; but would you say it's lighter or heavier than 120grs of powder and a 330gr projectile from a muzzleloader? I get the burn rate, power of black powder substitute; but your talking 1800 fps with 330gr projectile. The reason I ask, is frankly, 5 or 10 rounds of that, aren't that bad. Now, after 5 or 10 rounds, I'll admit I'm done, but I'm not sore or bruised. Recoil is so subjective; I've got a friend with a Rossi 92 in 357M, that he says kicks pretty good? I've shot it, and thought it felt like a Creedmore.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,565  
So, I've never shot a 45-70; and I always assumed it was pretty brutal; but would you say it's lighter or heavier than 120grs of powder and a 330gr projectile from a muzzleloader? I get the burn rate, power of black powder substitute; but your talking 1800 fps with 330gr projectile. The reason I ask, is frankly, 5 or 10 rounds of that, aren't that bad. Now, after 5 or 10 rounds, I'll admit I'm done, but I'm not sore or bruised. Recoil is so subjective; I've got a friend with a Rossi 92 in 357M, that he says kicks pretty good? I've shot it, and thought it felt like a Creedmore.
After owning and shooting several different 45-70's over the course of many years, both with smokeless powder and black powder, I would say that a 45-70 with blackpowder is going to be very similar to your muzzleloader recoil. However the recoil with smokeless powder is going to be remarkably more "brisk". Mainly due to the speed of the recoil pulse. Blackpowder is a slow and steady push and smokeless powder is more of an instantaneous crack. Think of it like I placed the big end of a baseball bat against your shoulder and then gave it a shove, vs. taking that same bat and swinging it hard at your shoulder like I'm trying to hit a home run and your shoulder is the ball.

I have enormous fun shooting blackpowder from my 14" Contender pistol. It can easily be shot one handed and is a slow roll of the pistol up off of the front bag. I've never met anyone, either novice or expert shooter, that couldn't shoot it comfortably once they got over their initial apprehension. However with smokeless full power "trapdoor" loads, it is an entirely different beast. I don't really enjoy shooting it myself, and I won't let any novice shooters try it. Too much risk of either hand injuries or that they drop or let go of my pistol, damaging either it or the optic on top of the barrel.

Same thing goes with the Winchester 1886 and H & R buffalo rifle I used to own. With blackpowder loads, each one of those were a treat to shoot and great fun at the range. Especially the 1886, with it's massive weight, just about anyone could shoot it and tolerate the recoil well. Both rifles had the steel crescent moon buttplate. However with "trapdoor" loads, few shooters could tolerate the recoil for long, even with a coat or jacket on. And when firing "Marlin Level" loads from the 1886, it was down right brutal.

Many years ago, when Marlin reintroduced the 45-70, I worked part time at a gun store. The running joke we had was many were purchased, few were shot, and most were returned with at least half a box of ammo. The Marlin is a terrible kicker. Too light weight overall, butt stock is too small, too thin and doesn't spread out the load from the recoil punch like you'd see in say an African safari rifle. The 1886 Winchester was night and day different in how it transferred the recoil to your shoulder. It was also a damn fine rifle.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,566  
I don't think the 45/70 is all that bad. It will get your attention but not bad. Had numerous marlins, my favorite was a co-pilot made by WWG.

Of course, I also owned 458lott, 416's in various flavors , 375's, etc...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,567  
Anyone tried 45-70, trapdoor level loads, with one of the black powder substitutes?

Bruce

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,568  
Sorry I can not compare those two as it has been a long time since I have shot a muzzleloader, but I'm sure someone will chime in. And my shoulder is why I went to a Creedmoor, beats me up a lot less than my M70 3006!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,569  

The Marlin 1895 is a fine firearm. Avoid the ones made in the Remington days (Remlins). Quality was terrible. I topped mine with a scout scope - hoping to get a bear with it this year!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,570  
The Marlin 1895 is a fine firearm. Avoid the ones made in the Remington days (Remlins). Quality was terrible. I topped mine with a scout scope - hoping to get a bear with it this year!
I have a Marlin 1895-.410 shotgun with screw in chokes. It's a Remlin, but I can't find any issue with it. It's been a great gun for around the homestead for dispatching critters and home defense. However, if I buy an 1895 SBL or Trapper, it will be the latest Ruger era rifle. I really like how they spiral fluted the bolt, nice touch, although I don't like the polished sides. I'd prefer a matte or brushed finish.