TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,531  
I can not carry at work, which is 90% of the time I am out of the house. When I do carry, which is rarely, it's normally cause I'm putting myself in a sketchy situation, meeting someone from Facebook marketplace, camping, hog hunting, looking at a property where could could have a hidden homeless camp, ect. Your not wrong about, I should practice more.
I actually was thinking about picking up a Taurus 605 (I think) 3" 357, 5 shot. Haven't shot that specific gun, but I do tend to shoot a revolver slightly better, than a compact semi.
I used to go down to Gainsville/Highsprings a lot diving, if I'm ever down that way or your ever up my way lets do some shooting.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,532  
I have two pistols set up with quality optics and have no problem carrying them. I have had no fogging or other issues. The are set to co-witness the sights so that helps if there is a problem.
In the civilian world you really are not real likely to be shooting at 25 yards in a self defense situation, so they really are not necessary but they are quick. Several departments are issuing them and I have not heard of many issues or complaints.
Really, the main thing is not that optics are faster, it's that the shooter is because he's focused on the target, not the dot. The dot gets superimposed on the target, both eyes open, target in focus, bullet gets sent where the dot is. There's a microsecond and a little accuracy lost doing same with iron sights, but really no big difference when you're training to put shots into a bad dude's chest at 10 yards or whatever. Target focus shooting is not just for optics.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,533  
I was surprised when I was in Africa back in June that the PH's are all adopting red dot sights for their dangerous game rifles. It used to always be a scope in QD lever mounts that could be removed so they could use iron sights for close quarter follow up shots in dense cover.

I guess I sort of split the difference with a Leupold VX-6 HD 1-6 x 24 illuminated scope for my .375 H&H. Which is also in QD lever mounts with express iron sights, but in those mounts mainly in case of scope failure.

A true 1x illuminated scope is very similar to using a red dot and allows for both eyes open shooting with great depth perception and FOV on running game. The deal is it has to be a true 1X so the view with both eyes open is seamless, not 1.5 or 1.75X like some scopes are.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,534  
That Leupold VX6 1-6x24 with the firedot is amazing... the field of view on 1x is astonishing. I have a couple of them mounted on rifles. They are fast!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,535  
That Leupold VX6 1-6x24 with the firedot is amazing... the field of view on 1x is astonishing. I have a couple of them mounted on rifles. They are fast!
I had trouble finding a good LPVO for that rifle, a model 70 Safari Express in .375 H&H. Most of the LPVO scopes being built today (actually, all scopes) have shorter tubes and HUGE blocky ocular ends. So, I was having issues finding one that worked on a magnum length action (without using offset rings) and also clearing the bolt handle when lifting the bolt. The problem was further compounded that it's a lefty rifle and many of these blocky ocular ends have a thumb nub on the adjustment ring, that perfectly interferes with the bolt lift when on 1X.

I was originally trying to make a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 x 24 work, but the adjustment ring nub got me and it can't be machined down, because it's also the nitrogen fill port.

Ultimately, I think I like the Leupy VX6 better. I think the eye relief, eyebox, FOV and clarity are all better and I like the auto on/off feature (although battery life isn't an issue on the Accupoint).

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,536  
Because we can...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,538  
The very best to carry is one that works , 1st time every time you pull the trigger .
I recently bought a SS P365 for carry.
I did a lot of research and handled a few before making a decision. There is a fair size selection of compacts available.
I chose the P365 because it is narrow. Easy to conceal and more comfortable than larger options. And all my fingers fit on the the grip with the finger extension mags.

I'm certain any of them will work when you pull the trigger.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,539  
Picked up the Savage 93 Mininimlist 22WMR, and threw the absolute cheapest 3-9×32 I had in the closet on it. Took a few rounds to get on target at 50 yards, and got everything dialed in at 100 yards. I was feeling better about the 10 shot, until I put the calipers on it. Got 10 rounds into 2.24" and 9 of those where in 1.45".
20240210_112926.jpg

Picture is rotated 90 degrees; group is general high of bullseye, and I may bring it down 2 clicks. Ammo was 40 gr winchester soft points. Also picked up 50 rounds of CCI HP MaxiMags.

Group on a front rest and a sock filled with wood shavings as a rear bag.

Considered throwing the Athlon 1-4×24 LPVO on it, but the mount doesn't span between the two piece rail.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,540  
For a 30 round review (lol); the mag is easy to load, but goofy to pull mag 1 handed, ans a bit figgity to insert mag. Bolt is kinda gritty, and far from smooth, trigger (accu trigger) is very nice, rifle is short and handi but although not heavy at all, it's heavier than it looks with the wood stock.