TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,311  
Gs, since you mention thermals; what's the thought on Sitemark Wraith; ATN X-site; ect, for general use, day and night. I know they aren't ever going to be as clear, but would people call them 'usable' for day and night both?

Reason I ask, I've seen some on the used market for around $350. I've been curious about then, but not $650 curious
I've only looked through a Trijicon Reap-IR and various Pulsar models.

My first dive into thermals was when I bought a Pulsar Trail XQ50 scope and a Pulsar XM30 monocular (384 x 288 resolution). I quickly upgraded to a Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50 scope and the Pulsar LRF XP50 bino's (although I still have the older thermals) due to resolution (640 x 480). The lower resolution will work and I still use the XQ50 trail on an AR-308, but I much prefer the higher resolution.

Any thermal will work to see "sign of life" and be able to tell something is out there. But the resolution is key to making a positive ID. I know someone that shot a ranchers cow, because of a mistaken ID, thinking it was a pig at 50 yards. Turns out it was a cow at 225yds. It's easier to make a bad ID then you think due because thermals can be extremely confusing at determining range. Also, the resolution is cut in half with each jump in magnification. Example: when I jump from 2X to 4x, the resolution is cut in half, 4x to 8x, half again. So zooming in doesn't necessarily help you get any better ID. The nice thing is that at night, you can easily walk right up to game if the wind is right, until you're close enough to get a positive ID.

I'd recommend to anyone who thinks they'll use a thermal with any regularity to buy one with 640 x 480 resolution (they actually are starting to come out with even better resolution). I'd also recommend the Pulsar models. Just buy once and cry once.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,312  
I use an ATN on my 22-250 varmint rifle, the one that the gummit wanted to take off the market for some reason. Works as advertised, especially on yotes.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,313  
I think many of the scopes have now started to cater to the tactical crowd, not the hunter. Reticles have become too busy on many of them, IMO. The occular ends have also gotten larger, causing issues with bolt lift on many guns. I ran into this issue when I was scoping my .375 H&H.

On my AR-15, AR-308 and ,375 H&H, I've gone to 1-6 x 24 scopes. The AR's have Trijicon Credo HX with the .223 and .308 BDC reticles. It remains a fairly simple reticle (as far as BDC's go).

The .375 has a Leupold VX6 1-6 x 24 with the firedot duplex. This is probably one of the most impressive scopes I've used. The image clarity and eye relief is superb and the 1X is a true 1 power. I also like the motion sensing technology to turn it on and off. On the Trijicons, I've had a number of times I've forgotten to turn it off after a hunt, only to find the battery is dead next time I use it. Other than low light conditions or long range, I think a 1-6X scope would suit many people's hunting needs. Having a true 1x with good eye relief and a generous eyebox is a game changer when doing spot and stalk in heavy brush.

All of my other rifles have either Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 scopes. These scopes were actually made for Zeiss by Meopta a Czech company and are one of the best values out there.
that VX6 1-6x24 has to be one of the best scopes I have purchased. The one power is so good, I can see my front sight in full focus when using it. The field of view is incredible. The firedot makes it work more like a red-dot on low power.

I put that on a few of my rifles. They are amazing.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,314  
Too bad Leupold buys their glass from the lowest bidders so consistency may be of question.. I know where Schmidt and Bender as well as Swarvoski source their glass at... It comes from Swarvoski's glass foundry and is processed by them as well.

I own a pair of Swarovski EL Range ranging bino's. REAL lifetime guarantee against everything including a yearly cleaning and alignment which I use every year and they even pay the freight both ways to Cranston, Ri, where their NA headquarters is located at.

Like most everything in life, you get what you pay for and they ain't cheap but then neither are their scopes nor is Schmidt & Bender.
The one power is so good, I can see my front sight in full focus when using it.
Something I never want to see is my front sight blade. Sounds to me like your rail or rings aren't offsetting the scope correctly.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,315  
I've been happy with a couple of Redfields I've mounted on .308 shooters.
Nothing special, not to pricey. I would like something more compact however.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,316  
Redfield is owned by Leupold, right? Kinda like the Chevy to Leupolds GMC?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,317  
Too bad Leupold buys their glass from the lowest bidders so consistency may be of question.. I know where Schmidt and Bender as well as Swarvoski source their glass at... It comes from Swarvoski's glass foundry and is processed by them as well.

I own a pair of Swarovski EL Range ranging bino's. REAL lifetime guarantee against everything including a yearly cleaning and alignment which I use every year and they even pay the freight both ways to Cranston, Ri, where their NA headquarters is located at.

Like most everything in life, you get what you pay for and they ain't cheap but then neither are their scopes nor is Schmidt & Bender.

Something I never want to see is my front sight blade. Sounds to me like your rail or rings aren't offsetting the scope correctly.
Leupold has never done me wrong in the 40+ years I have used them. Stand-up company with quality products. Sorry you have had issues.

Seeing the front sight is no big deal at all.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,318  
Seeing the front sight is no big deal at all.
It's pretty common when you use a low power scope on low power setting. As you dial up the power, the FOV narrows and you don't see the front site.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,319  
Yup. Even the 2-7x I had on my 375 H&H would have the front sight and muzzle in the scope view if you had it on 2x. You have to get to about 3x or more for the field of view to shrink enough for the muzzle not to be in the scope view. Easy to tune that out once you've looked through it a few times.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,320  
I think I would need a 12 inch riser to keep that VX6 1-6 from seeing the barrel given the fantastic field of view it has!